Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed the rewire that allows your fog lights to be on whenever the key is on, had I had known how easy it was to wire it so they can be on with your parking lights, I would have done that. However, I did exactly what it said, cut the purple/orange wire on the convertible 8 pin harness, and connected it to the red/black wire on the switch, however now the fog lights don't work at all. I used 12 gauge wire to connect them together, because that was all that was handy, and connected the wires together with wire nuts. Did I do something wrong, should I have used 14 gauge? I have no idea. Help me out on this one guys, please. Did I permanently ruin the fog lights? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I performed the fog light re-wire a couple of years ago. Let me give some suggestions. The larger 14 gauge wire will not be a problem. I would suggest using crimp-style butt splice connectors instead of the wire nuts. (more secure connection, less chance of coming apart) Check to see if you have power(12v) at the purple with orange striped wire. (convert. tp.) If you don't there's your prob. Check all the fuses associated with the fog lights and convertible top under the dash. There is also a fuse and relay in the engine compartment fuse box for the fog lights. Also, make sure you cap or tape up the unused portion of the red and black stripe wire since it will have 12v on it whenever your headlights are on.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I rewired mine 2 weeks ago and I too was amazed at how simple it was.. I didnt have a splice connector handy, so at the time I used a wire nut. I did NOT need an extra wire. I joined the fog light wire directly to the orange and purple wire. The wire nut held fine, because I completely wrapped the connection in electrical tape. Last week I went out an bought the conncetor, and When I pulled the console apart , the wires were still very tightly connected and wrapped with the tape...I nevertheless connected with the splice connector

Hope this helps after you find your power problem

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It's hard to remember since i did this two years ago, but sounds like you spliced the wrong end of one of the wires after you cut it. Thats what i did the first time. Were you referencing the article at mustangworld.com? It wasn't too clear to me. I think i ended up going in there with a voltage tester and testing for 12v with the ignition on and i ended up splicing the wrong end of one of the wires i cut. Sound exactly like your prob to me. Dustin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly what I did, the instructions said to use the female side of the wiring harness, which I did, then I went make with a voltage tester, and I found that I needed to use the other side. Looks like someone messed up when they put in on their site, I will be sure and let the person know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts