Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my original plan was to just run straight pipes with tailpipes. Sounds OK at idle but bad when driving. It's just loud in and outside of the car. I have my old set of flowmasters I could put on. I want it pretty quiet on the street, I will just uncork the cutout at the track. Other than the obvious HP loss, is there any reason not to use the flowmasters?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Not really, I'm using dual 3 inch flowmasters on mine for the time being

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I run Borola XS 3" I/O mufflers with turn downs.

My downpipe splits in a home made Y to dual 3" pipes back to the mufflers.

At 1240 RWHP, power loss is below what the dyno could reliably resolve. The biggest issue is weight, since large steel pipes are heavy. I have no real idea what it all weighs, I'm just guessing 30-40 lbs?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Although I run dual 3" Ultra-Flo mufflers with 3" tail pipes now, I used to run 3" Flowmasters with tailpipes on a stock block 306 with a 66mm turbo and the car ran 9.90s. I even had my waste gate plumbed back into the downpipe. So although Flowmasters are not "best" for a turbo combo, I have seen some wicked fast cars with them on.

I love the sound of Flowmasters, at idle especially.

I would say as long as you have a cut-out, you will be fine. Kind of the best of both worlds IMO.

Obviously muffler selection is going to be based on horsepower potential of your combo ultimately.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my plan, have a quiet nice sounding exhaust for the street even if I give up some power. Open the cutout on the track.

·
4,310 Posts
My friend had a twin turbo 347 car with three chamber flows, their catback. That car at idle and really driving sounded quieter than a stock Mustang. He had a solid roller cam in it but a very very mild grind so not even an aggressive idle if listening for the idle. Car ran mid to high 9s before he went to other mufflers during some other combo changes.

They definitely hurt power but for a daily driver I think they sound pretty good on a turbo car if goal is to have something that does not draw much attention to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts