Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
I totally agree with venomous a good friend of mine had a 00gt with a Mac H-pipe and Mac Catback and the car sounder exactly like glass packs, he was so embarrassed, it would sound good cruising around butt anything full throttle or slightly getting on it it was glasspacks to a tee. Now I am looking for a set of mufflers for my wifes 00 GT to go along with here Mac X-pipe the Mac mufflers may sound good with an X but with an H is a joke, but its either Mac mufflers, or 2 or 3 chamber Flowmasters. Any opinions?? And no way flowmasters lost that much HP compared to stockers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've heard several flowmaster and mac muffled modular cars and truthfully, none of them sound nearly as evil as the Bassani, Magnaflow or Borla exhausts, nor do they look anywhere as good. From my past experience with Mac, having long-tubed headers on my '95 Cobra, as well as their short, non-catalytic H-pipe, I was something LESS than impressed with both fit, finish and sound. Save a few hundred dollars and treat your ears, your neighbours' ears, and whoever is riding in the car with you, to something that will last longer, sound better, and have better fit and finish.

I was like several here at first when I bought the Mac.. I was thinking.. INEXPENSIVE.. but there's a gross difference between INEXPENSIVE and *CHEAP*. Mac is just *CHEAP*.

Oh, and for what it's worth, that HTS coating was rusting through in less than three months on both the headers AND the H-pipe. The flowmaster's didn't rust at all, except around the joints. The pipes weren't polished, but I didn't really care as long as they stayed clean.

ANYWAY, this is just my $0.02 worth on the topic, but I'll personally never purchase another Mac product. Ask about their service sometime... :barf:

·
Registered
733 Posts
trey193 said:
And no way flowmasters lost that much HP compared to stockers.
Wanna bet?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by Venemous Mofo:
"The Macs sound like ASS with an offroad H at least on a Cobra. It sounded like a glasspack mobile. I was very embarassed driving it around and it was way to loud."

I'll have to agree with Venemous on this one. I bought my Mac catback a couple of months ago. It doesn't fit worth a damn, I even took it to a muffler shop to see if he could get it to fit right. After cutting and torching on it for about 2 hours, it kinda fits now. But ever since I bought an off road h, it sounds like crap. A friend of mine swore I had glasspacks. I can't stand the way it sounds now. I'm going back to the muffler shop tomorrow to have the Mac mufflers removed and Flows welded in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Three years on my Mac exhaust and no issues whatsoever! Great sound too!! You guys w/rust issues must leave your cars out in the weather all the time...sounds like you may need a garage.;) ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I actually turned mine into a DuckStang.. I cut the top off the cobra, turned up some Mac tailpipes into some snouts out the rear and gave tours in as many different salt-watered bays as I could find, or at least until the Coast Guard ran me off. I'm hoping that Mac will warranty the exhaust on my amphibious creation.. I don't think that was excluded in the warranty.

With some retrospect here.. I bet Ford would warranty a half-shaft if I broke it underwater as long as it wasn't a totally factory-original car...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Love my Flows.

Incidentally, why do you think they say "Get something different every other Mustang you hear has Flowmasters".

Exhaust doesn't lend much HP to a late model Stang, go for what sounds best to you. Not what people like me recommend you get. How do you know what are cars sound like, .wav/.mpeg files aren't that accurate and mixed with a cheap soundcard they are way to forgiving.
:lol:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bierbelly not calling U a liar or anything but there are to many variables from different times at the dyno, both outside temps and engine temp as well, I have never heard of a flowmaster making less power than a stock Ford muffler, are flowmasters the best flowing muffler?? Not Hardly! But I would have to see it back to back same day and all under the exact same conditions to believe U lost power by adding Flowmasters. I say something else was the culprit as most others will agree!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Let me run this by yall. I jacked up my H pipe when I installed my cat back to make sure that it was straight. Could it be that when I rebound after hitting a bump that the driveshage is clanking agains the H-pipe. :joy:

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's possible..

block off your front tires, pull the car out of gear, disengage the e-brake and jack up the rear.

Rotate the driveshaft and have a look for any 'clean' spots or a ring around it.

*shrug* dunno what to tell you without having a look myself. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
trey193 said:
Bierbelly not calling U a liar or anything but there are to many variables from different times at the dyno, both outside temps and engine temp as well, I have never heard of a flowmaster making less power than a stock Ford muffler, are flowmasters the best flowing muffler?? Not Hardly! But I would have to see it back to back same day and all under the exact same conditions to believe U lost power by adding Flowmasters. I say something else was the culprit as most others will agree!
Check out my thread about the flowmaster situation, if you haven't already. The HP was supposed to be "corrected SAE", which should have compensated for differences in temp/humidity. On the other hand, the loss was less than 3%, which isn't much. But it certainly didn't go up in HP.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think with 6 months in between dyno sessions your "experiment" hardly proves that the Flowmasters caused a loss in horsepower. Maybe bad gas and a little age on the car contributed to the "loss."

·
Registered
733 Posts
Slithering_Joe said:
I think with 6 months in between dyno sessions your "experiment" hardly proves that the Flowmasters caused a loss in horsepower. Maybe bad gas and a little age on the car contributed to the "loss."
Well, it's certainly not bad gas, since my stang is very sensitive to that. Had a tank of what was supposed to be premium (93) a couple of weeks ago that pinged like hell. No problems this tank.

And yes, 6 mos between tests is a little shaky to be drawing conclusions, but like I've said in the other thread, I noticed a reduction in power immediately after having the flows put on the car last fall. I thought, well maybe it's just my imagination. But of course, I was really imagining a little MORE power, not less, so what I felt was the opposite of what I expected. So it begs the question as to whether (1) the stock mufflers are really more restrictive than aftermarkets (or flows at least); and (2) whether a little more backpressure isn't really better. It would be interesting if someone else did the same thing, ie dyno before and after putting in a cat back or mufflers, within a shorter period of time to determine the effect of lower restriction from mufflers alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the information and input. Given me somethings to think about.

See new Thread about Borla vs. Bassani

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have got a Mac catback w/Mac prochamber and I love the sound of it. I also have JBA headers so that might make a small difference. The catback has been on for over two years and very little rust has shown up on mine however I do have that metal to metal noise when I go over a bump. Only thing I can figure is on the passenger side the tailpipe is super close to upper control arm and that is what is hitting. Tried to dimple the pipe but still have the noise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Mac or the Flows sound good on a stang. Don't be like some people on here and get them with a X-pipe. you need a H-pipe with the chambered mufflers.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts