Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion on weither FlowMaster or MAC is the better Cat-Back system for an 01 GT? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Me 2

I would also like to know this, since these are the cheaper cat back kits. I think both these kits are supposed to give you the more traditional muscle car sound and I've heard that MAC sounds better, but haven't heard them myself so who knows.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hey there,

The MAC's have a nice big-block sound as opposed to the tight metallic throaty sound that the flowmasters have. Neither system is stainless steel... with the MAC system, you need to make sure you polish/shine up the tips occasionally since they are chromed, otherwise they won't last as long as you'd like. Personally, I think the MAC's deeper sound is more appealing ..but everyone has their own opinion.

Good Luck!

SOHC
99 Vortech GT
02 Subaru WRX

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the Mac Catback the sound is awesome. I had some fitment issues in the begining, but they were alleviated by ensuring that I jacked up the Factory H pipe to keep it level. I also notice that when I hit a speed bump two quickly I will hear a metal on metal sound. Other than that I love the sound:D

Now as for rust issues. You do have to stay on top of the tips. Before I installed my tailpipes, I put about three coats of Rustoleum Hi Heat paint in them to keep the rust down. I may have to look at touching up one of my tips because of an uneven coat and surface rust may be forming. :mad:

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Macs are awesome. Sound mean as hell with the off-road H pipe. The chrome tailpipes also look great and match with chrome wheels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Keep something in mind, while you can polish/shine the chrome (which is not necessary on a quality-plating job) this only covers the outside of the tube. The part you can't see is what will destroy this system.

Rust will form on the inside and eventually eat through the steel (cold rolled flash control tube to be exact). So while the MAC sounds nice, and it does, just be aware of the commitment need to ensure a long life.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Question, any of you have any trouble with a metallic clanking noise with the MAC system. It occurs mainly when I have a passenger. I've looked under there and everything seems to have clearance. It's starting to get irritating. If anyone has had this problem could you advise of how you fixed it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a flowmaster mufflers with an off road h pipe and my best friend has macs with offroad h pipe. I think the mac sounds better are higher rpms but the flows sound good at lower rpms. The flowmasters seem to be more throaty and a deeper tone.
But it seems everybody has flowmasters. Go with the macs i wish i did.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Love the way my Flowpath catback sounds. :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
I will chime in here. I ordered a Mac Catback in 98 for my 98 Cobra. After they built my system, i threw it on. I heard all kinds of noises. Theres metal to metal rubbing that YOU CANNOT fix. The Tails will flex and bang into your undercarriage. You get intrested squeaks and rattles.

Tailpipes. Im anal about chrome and polished alumn. Weeky, i scrubbed those suckers down, applied lots of wax and they still rusted. Macs quality control is a joke.

Attaching to an offroad H. The Macs sound like ASS with an offroad H at least on a Cobra. It sounded like a glasspack mobile. I was very embarassed driving it around and it was way to loud.

Spend your money wisely and do it one time. Invest in a quality cat back. Go Stainless. I was VERY happy since purchasing a Bassani Catback. I wanted a Magnaflow system but i didnt want to wait 5-6 months down the road.

To this day, i cannot find anyone to take my sorry Mac catback off my hands.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Just my opinion an no flame intended. MAC = junk. That high-temp coating is just like spray paint and the pipes hardly fit properly.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just my .02. Never compared the sound of the two systems. I have flows welded into the OE system. Sounds OK, should be better once I get a high flow cat-H on it. Later. Anyway, for those applying wax to exhaust pipes, just be aware that it doesn't do anything, because it burns off quickly. It can't take the heat. I'm not sure that even silicone will survive the heat. SS is the only way to avoid it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've heard both, and personally I prefer the Flowmaster.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Embarrassed of the sound, LOL. The Mac system sounds awesome on my 98 Cobra. The Bassani sounds weak. If you don't want to sound like a muscle car then keep your cats.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Embarrassed of the sound, LOL. The Mac system sounds awesome on my 98 Cobra. The Bassani sounds weak. If you don't want to sound like a muscle car then keep your cats. I also had no mounting problems and no rattling at all.

Jake

sorry for the double post....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a MAC Xpipe into the MAC catback. It sounds great. I prefer these over the Flowmasters because everybody has Flowmasters. They sound better in my opinion. Just remember opinions are like you know what. So make an informed decision and enjoy!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well, don't get Flowmasters! I just had my car dynoed with the only change since last time being welded-in Flows. LOST 7 rwhp and 10 rwtq!:mad:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts