Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flashback!!! Do any of you guys remember the Mustang Vs. Grand National shootouts they used to have at Englishtown??? They we're AWESOME! I remember I drove my 13.0 @ 102 mph 85 Mustang GT fully loaded up floor jack, slicks, jackstands & tools in the hatch. I drove there with my friend all the way from Rhode Island to compete in the 1992 shootout... Aside from the admission fees to race I had about $80 TO MY NAME!!! No credit cards or nothing. If anything happened I would have been screwed...When I think back....boy was I nuts. I only went a couple of rounds and was eliminated but I consider myself lucky cause the next time I went to my local track (New England Dragway) on my FIRST run I blew my spider gears in my 8.8. Any of you guys have any stories to share from those Mustang GN shootouts?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Yep I recall those..I never got to go though! Read them in mags. Bet it was a blast..!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah,I remember those races.A guy use to sell VHS tapes Fords at Englishtown that he made from the race and i still have them today box up with my old Muscle Mustang Spring Break Shootout tapes.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
boy do I remember........7 lanes of grand nationals, 8 lanes of mustangs, 400-450 cars and packed stands. team mustang vs. team grand national etc. , etc, etc.....ahhhh the good old days.............

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,I remember those races.A guy use to sell VHS tapes Fords at Englishtown that he made from the race and i still have them today box up with my old Muscle Mustang Spring Break Shootout tapes.
you should burn them to a dvd and sell them.....I would buy one!:joy: There we're some great rivalries.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yup I still got them myself ;)

Wonder if it's the same guy that sold them to me? I'll have to dig them out and convert them to DVD,since VHS is pretty much history anyways :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I remember those days fondly. Still have the faded t-shirt somewhere also.

Navigating the potholes on the cross bronx expwy with weld skinnies on the front and slicks/tools stuffed in the back...good times.

Also the Friday night Mustang Showdowns were usually packed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup I still got them myself ;)

Wonder if it's the same guy that sold them to me? I'll have to dig them out and convert them to DVD,since VHS is pretty much history anyways :)
Yeah,this guy did alot of filming & talking to the drivers he knew them pretty well at the track.Alot of old school names that got this ford stuff going back in the days.I say if anybody race at those races there a chance your car should be on those tapes because this guy film alot of cars at the track.I need to convert them to DVD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I remember those days fondly. Still have the faded t-shirt somewhere also.

Navigating the potholes on the cross bronx expwy with weld skinnies on the front and slicks/tools stuffed in the back...good times.

Also the Friday night Mustang Showdowns were usually packed.
hahaha ....those same potholes are still there! worst road in the u.s.

·
Registered
711 Posts
we have a buick vs. ford race every year here still!

·
Registered
44 Posts
i used to love going to this even. It was a huge event back in the day. I been to mostly all of them. I still have the t shirts and the raceway park flyers from back in the day. but never bought the tapes tho. If somebody burns them to DVD i will def buy them. This event was packed with alot of good racing and good people. i wish they would do it again.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I was at every one of them back in the day. It was great seeing all the big name guys come here to do this race. Deputy, Weigand, Crawford, etc. Back when 9s were stupid fast, and you needed a race motor with a power adder in a light weight back half car to do it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i remember seeing videos of some of the races. I was a mustang fan and my buddy had a GN. Lots of ball busting. Too bad they don't run those anymore. Duttweiler(sp) had some sick GN's. If i didn't have a stang i would have a GN.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts