Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installing some Blueprint heads wo/ thermactor ports. What is the fix for A/C mount/Power steering stud that uses thermactor hole in head? Seems it's be easy to create a mount from steel using the 2 other unused holes in the Drivers head. There's plenty of space in the alum AC mount for a threaded steel insert. Or drill/tap my new alum head?. I'd rather fab the steel mount, and create copies to sell to others who do not want to drill their heads. A google search on this yields crickets.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Is it safe to drill the hole into the heads? I’d probably just do that if BP says it’s ok.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
installing some Blueprint heads wo/ thermactor ports. What is the fix for A/C mount/Power steering stud that uses thermactor hole in head? Seems it's be easy to create a mount from steel using the 2 other unused holes in the Drivers head. There's plenty of space in the alum AC mount for a threaded steel insert. Or drill/tap my new alum head?. I'd rather fab the steel mount, and create copies to sell to others who do not want to drill their heads. A google search on this yields crickets.
post a pic. drilling into the head is something I wouldn't recommend.

you might have a bastard set of heads. thats why the mighty google shows nada.

are you saying that you're missing a mounting hole on the side of the head?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
So your head only has 2 accessory mount holes?

Reactions: rob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it has the 3 standard acc holes......and a NOT a 4th thermactor hole that is used to mount the PS stud.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some old pics I found when I disassembled my OEM engine (equipped with A/C)

These are the 3 holes needed. The small 4th one that would hold the thermactor pipe in place in the rear is not needed in the front.

20150404_204715.jpg 20150404_204725.jpg

Post pics of your heads and we can compare.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it safe to drill the hole into the heads? I’d probably just do that if BP says it’s ok.
BP is closed over the weekend, I'm planning on calling them 1st thing in the AM

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some old pics I found when I disassembled my OEM engine (equipped with A/C)

These are the 3 holes needed. The small 4th one that would hold the thermactor pipe in place in the rear is not needed in the front.
I do not have the hole to mount this stud

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I think you are confused. The 4th small hole on factory heads is for the thermactor cross over pipe. Your stud goes into the big hole that is the same size as the thermactor insert that factory heads and emission heads used. Non emissions heads are drilled the same size as the inside of the thermactorplug/insert.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I'm not confused. The 3 standard acc mounts holes are there. There is no hole in the location where the thermactor hole would be. So no place to screw in the long stud.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just take a picture of the dang head so we can have a look.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Every bolt hole is there.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

The only hole missing is the small one circled, which isn’t used for accessory mounting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wrong the hole next to the one you circled is missing on my heads.....the thermactor holes. I don't have the heads ATM they had to go back to machine shop....its possible one of the ends is drilled diff from the one I was trying.....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wrong the hole next to the one you circled is missing on my heads.....the thermactor holes. I don't have the heads ATM they had to go back to machine shop....its possible one of the ends is drilled diff from the one I was trying.....
There won't be actual thermactor holes in your heads,the hole that accepts the bolt for the AC bracket will look like a regular tapped hole just like the other two.The three hole pattern will form a 90 deg angle.Like this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You do have the hole, it just isn’t big for the Thermactor. It‘s sized correctly for the bolt. You done have the small hole to the side because it is used to hold the Thermactor cross over tube in place which your heads don’t use. If you had the holed drilled for the Thermactor you would have to put in the insert to reduce to the size you currently have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have the holes shown in the link in post #12, then you have all the holes needed, unless the manufacture screwed up and put the upper right on in the wrong spot. But as others have said, if you have those 3, you have what you need.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
..its possible one of the ends is drilled diff from the one I was trying.....

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
having a hole that is drilled wrong is completely different than saying you have no hole at all. i believe the hole for ac stud is 7/16

1 - 20 of 20 Posts