Ford Mustang Forums banner

First trip to the track

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  toddturbo 
#1 ·
I took the mustang to the track for the first time tonight. Had a great time and got faster every pass. I’m wondering what you guys think I can shoot for with my 60ft. It’s a street car, full weight lx convertible plus the weight of a 6 point roll bar. Stock k member, H&R sport springs, bilstein shocks/struts, big eibach sway bars, mm extreme lca’s stock uppers. Not exactly ideal for drag racing. I’m not trying to change the suspension but I’d like to know how far off I am from what you guys think is possible with my current setup. Wanting to figure out how much is left in getting the launch rpm/clutch release right. I’m on 15x9 draglites with 26x8.5 Hoosiers. Best 60 was a 1.641. I’m pretty sure I was on my way to a 11.5xx but I missed 3rd and called it quits. I had already picked up 2 tenths at the 330 over my best previous run.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
A couple of things you could try at the track: 1) disconnect the front sway bar 2) loosen up the front shocks 3)try hitting it harder off the line and see if you can hit the high 1.5x on the 60 ft. That should get you down into the 11.2x - 11.3x range and then you will be wondering what it will take to hit 10.99 just once....

Have fun!

#4 ·
A couple of things you could try at the track: 1) disconnect the front sway bar 2) loosen up the front shocks 3)try hitting it harder off the line and see if you can hit the high 1.5x on the 60 ft. That should get you down into the 11.2x - 11.3x range and then you will be wondering what it will take to hit 10.99 just once...

Have fun!
Thanks for the advice man. I’ll definitely give it a try. The shocks aren’t adjustable but I’ll disconnect the sway bar and try leaving at a higher rpm. 11.2-11.3 would be awesome, but I’m sure your right about wanting 10’s haha

#5 ·
How much air pressure you running in the Hoosiers? It was a long time ago I borrowed a pair of Hoosiers and the thing I remember was I needed to run more air pressure then I would in my MT slicks to keep them from wadding up and the rim was almost hitting the ground on the initial hit. I use to run 13/14 PSI in the MTs, so it makes me think I was in the 15/16 PSI range on the Hoosiers. Back then (3.35 T5/4.10) the car was capable of 1.64 60ft on the MT slicks.

#6 ·
i had them at 16. It seemed to work pretty good so I never played with. My trans has the 2.95 1st gear and I’ve got 3.73’s. I’ll still need to get the car tuned, hopefully with that and a few other adjustments I can get low 11’s.

#7 ·
I must have missed it, but what are you running for your engine combo?

Reactions: 91ntchdream
#9 ·
I’ve got a nitrous express plate kit that I’ve mocked up. I put in a 1 gallon fuel cell and a Holley blue pump for the nitrous system. I’ve got everything to finish the nitrous install, but no time to wire all the stuff for the tps/rpm switch, progressive controller, heater. Plus I’ve got the msd digital 6 plus. I need to wire it to the nitrous solenoid to retard the timing when it’s activated. I figured I needed to get the N/A combo dialed in before I dive into the nitrous

Attachments

#12 ·
yeah pretty soon you'll be wondering what a 10.99 is like. Then not long after, you'll be shooting for 10.50. Then 9.99. Then 8.99.....

It's a sickness, addiction if you will. Been there, done that, and a lot faster was just enough to put me back to the mid 9.10's where I'm more comfortable (and more budget friendly). And bracket racing....grudge stuff was a lot of fun but way too much money for my budget. Found myself selling off household stuff, furniture, whatever just to afford to buy those high $$$ shocks or whatever, for the competitive edge. Pretty soon didn't have anything left to sell but the car itself and had to take a break, during the break found some health issues that couldn't be ignored, turned into a long break, sold that car and the other one as well, kept the Maverick and just within the past couple years went bracket racing again. Honestly having more fun doing it too!

#13 ·
Yeh grudge racing is fun to watch and I’m sure it’s fun to do as well, but I know I can’t afford to play on that level. Lots of 1/8 mile bracket racing around here and it seems like if you have a consistent car you can have fun and win some races without a six figure budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.