Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive done plenty of autocross type stuff, and dozens of drift events, but I am hopefully going to get to a track day at thompson speedway on the 11th.

My one issue it tires. I have some pretty beat good year 275 on a 10.5 inch wheel for the rear and 245 on a 9 inch wheel for the front.

Will it be worth doing on these tires? I may have the possibility to get some take off 235 pirelli slicks, but Im not sure if i want to spend the money (I used to autocross with slicks, I have those still too, (khumo v710) but theyre pretty spent.

pretty much, whats my best bet with tires without breaking the bank? I am not willing to buy a new set of tires for this as I wonbt be doing many track days.

·
Registered
200 Posts
200 to 300 treadwear tires. Width from 275 to 245 is fine. Maybe try a place that installs new tires to see if they have any low tread takeoffs that somebody just replaced on a street car.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd start with 200 treadwear and less than 5 years old, especially if it rains. If you're on new R-comps, you never find the control limits at the higher speeds, and if their too old and hard, you're afraid to.

Frank

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Oh Troxell, nice to see you back in the road racing section on Corral, welcome i know its been a while. Take a gander and get familiar with the forum.

My only advice i can give you is the tech inspection they look at tyres very closely. When i went to Thompson the biggest thing they checked on Foxey was tyres and brakes. Then harness so those v710s that are spent will probably not pass. Throw some streets on there and feel the understeer lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts