Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but hell it was fun :joy::joy:

Well I took my new "project" car out for the 1st time at the track today.

THe car is .....may seem overkill and slow but it is definetly me as the driver that is slow.

89 notch
TKO
331 Rblock w/ 8.5 je pistons
TW heads fully ported
MP T70
3.08 Gears
17" front and rear tires w/ Nitto DR' 275/40/17 on the rears.

1st pass:
react- .159
60- 2.301
1/8th-9.074
mph- 82.663
1/4- 13.74
mph-100.542

rear tire pres -32psi

Driven-clutch slipping (launch kinda awkward), tires were slipping until I got out of second, I think I even got out of the gas before the 1320

Damn thing is scarry to drive. NO front sway bar and full drag coil over set up withsoft springs. Way different than my old 03 cobra. Cobra felt like a Luxury car compared to this beast.

2nd pass (7min after the first).

react-.678
60- 2.449
1/8-9.374
mph- 82.953
1/4- 13.993
mph-102.307

Rear tire pres- same 32 psi

Driven - launched at 3000-3500 and floored it. Blew tires at 1st and 2nd. I think it went slower also because of how hot the motor was.

3rd pass (45 min break)

react-.177
60-2.189
1/8th- 8.624
mph-84.659
1/4-13.12
mph-106.925

Rear tire pres- 22psi

Driven- launched 3000-3500 softer. Car didn't spin tires as bad but still felt like the rear end was still slidding left after 2nd. Shifted great and floored it the whole way.

Only 3 runs for this newbie. Conclusions- TKO600 doesn't shift as good as a T56. Lighter car and big power is hard to control. GOT TO LEARN HOW TO LAUNCH & DRIVE THIS THING.

Car dynoed at 464whp with 15# and 15deg timing supper conservative tune. I actually think this car is running too rich. I was running the car @ 11-13# of boost at the track (Didn't want to screw the motor since I was just learnig to drive this).

On the 3rd pass I went against another notch that had 100p less, supercharged running 8psi, with 3.90 gears, and slicks. He went 12.209 @113.815.

I will update on my next trip to he track

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Umm yeah I would say you've got another 2 and a quarter seconds and 20 mph left to go.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
My dear lord...... put a 4 cylinder in it....probably be faster

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hmmm....How are you tuning it? Your power seems to be way down from what it should be and also you MPH is comparable with n/a 302. Are you sure you don't have boost leaks and what is you AFR? What RPM does it spool up and are you losing all your boost when you shift it? I'm not trying to dog your car just curious what the problem is.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm yeah I would say you've got another 2 and a quarter seconds and 20 mph left to go.
I wish but I don't think it could do it with those 3.08's

My dear lord...... put a 4 cylinder in it....probably be faster
Funny but probably true.

Hmmm....How are you tuning it? Your power seems to be way down from what it should be and also you MPH is comparable with n/a 302. Are you sure you don't have boost leaks and what is you AFR? What RPM does it spool up and are you losing all your boost when you shift it? I'm not trying to dog your car just curious what the problem is.....
I know it is down on the power. I really don't know why. A/F is at 11.2-11.5. It was tuned with a chip a long time ago. I am taking it to another tuner next month.

How can you tell if you have a boost leak? The boost actually spikes a pound or two due to my manual controller. I cant set it exaclly at 10.

What do you mean by loosing all the boost when shifting?

No offense taken on any comments. I actualy want more ideas on how to drive the car correctly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
How much boost are you running?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
He said he was letting out of it before the traps which would severly affect his mph. I would say that and the combination of horrid 60' is what is killing the mph the most.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The car should be running 100mph in the 1/8mi not the 1/4mi. You def. have something going on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
He said he was letting out of it before the traps which would severly affect his mph. I would say that and the combination of horrid 60' is what is killing the mph the most.
He said he had it floored all the way on the third run....and even with a poor 60ft it should still run a decent MPH. There's definetly something wrong....Do you have a dyno chart you can post up?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
With 17's you have to Ease into it. You're killin yourself at the 60'

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
He said he had it floored all the way on the third run....and even with a poor 60ft it should still run a decent MPH. There's definetly something wrong....Do you have a dyno chart you can post up?
Here is a chart when it was running 17.5#'s

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
post a better quality.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
mmm...i went from a 12.56 first pass to a 11.44 (few weeks later) changed only the jetting in the carb..so driving is a big part of it

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^
Yes I totally agree with you. If I can shave .6 off my time in driving the car for the first time. I bet I can shave some more.

·
Registered
716 Posts
He said it was scary to drive. Wait till he gets it sorted out.....

·
Registered
765 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't get my nitto 275/40 17's to hook for me on the weekend either. First time out with the combo and I could spin them at a twitch of the right foot. I did trap 93mph in the 1/8th mile but not being able to open it up until 3rd gear killed a lot of trap speed.
Best thing to do is get out to a test and tune and get some seat time. With the stickshift, a true slick is still the best option for good dragstrip performance. After this weekend, I'll be out with the 26x10 drags.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nitto's are not going to cut it. It should still tun a lot more mph. Mine ran 98 in the 1/8 first time out on 10 lbs. Same turbo but carbed 351 in a 67. I don't think the 3.08 gears are hurting it at all. My car will smoke the street tires in second from 15 mph with a 3.08 gear and C4. Turbos make plenty torque.

Do you have a WBO2? Could turning down the boost have killed the tune? If you left the timing at 15 and lowered the boost it will kill a lot of power. I ran mine at 21* on pump with no cooler.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Subscribing: I was just at the track and similar thing. My car should trap 130-135 but was only seeing 119. Could be the weather throwing off the tune. It was 95 degrees outside with 90% humidity. Florida Heat Sucks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts