Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your mph is pretty damn good for your set-up. My set-up some years back was almost identical to yours, only I was T5 with 3:55 and mega bite Jr LCA's. My best times were in the 12.70's with 1.90's 60'. My mph was usually around 107-108 if memory serves. I simply wasn't putting enough heat into my tires, and my 60' suffered. I could have used a simple and fairly inexpensive line-lock system and my 60'/ET's would have come down.

Was thinking, if you're gonna pull the engine anyway, this would be a great time for a tubular K with A arms (if you don't have it already?) or/and some lighter front springs. With some single adjustables up front and a line-lock system, I would be surprised if you didn't see low 12's, possibly high 11's if you're mph is any indication. Congrats on some nice runs!
Thanks, Just did a tubular k member, also has afco 30022 (80/20) front struts / coilovers with viking 14" 150lb springs.

Reactions: coupe1993

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Car has great MPH. What is the current front suspension setup?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks! afco 80/20 struts / coilovers with 14" 150lb viking springs /AJE tubular k member and a-arms

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Should see a huge improvement. Low 12's.
first time on Hoosiers and Baseline uppers gained .23 on ET! 12.77 to 12.54 still with only a 1.8 60ft, need to get that better!

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you are going to to pull the springs get them out before you pull the engine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
engine is out and tore down, all the bearings were shot in the bottom end, now I know why it was ticking all the time!

Hard to believe it ran 12.5 last month and passed CA Smog last week!

Anyways got a new remanufactured stock HO longblock
(rebuilding my original as a backup or possibly save for another project? )

TW 170 heads are off getting ported

will be installing my custom FTI cam and 1 3/4 longtube headers

AOD is out and swapping to T5.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not noisy up front but pretty stiff on bumps. It's ok just driving to the store or the track, actually rides pretty nice on freeway.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Winter rebuild is coming along, just waiting on heads to get back from porting. I have installed all new rear brake hardware, a drive shaft safety loop / new non mass back carpet (20lb lighter than OEM)

on my T5 swap I installed solid 3-4 keys, steel bearing retainer and steel billet main cluster support, also replaced all the shift fork pads for good measure, degreased the trans and bellhousing and shot it with a coat of Machine Grey.

I am considering the big bore rear drum wheel cylinders from Maximum Motorsports, anyone tried those with stock drum brakes and Big / littles?

Also considering Aerospace front drag brakes / Medium duty seem to be the lightest but was wondering if that would be ok to drive to the track ( 8 miles or so each way from my house)

I would probably do both brake mods at the same time and with the braking bias shifted more toward the rear I'm thinking the drag brakes would be ok to get to the track and back?

Got 3" dynomax mini race bullets and turndowns, 3" flow tubes on the way from LMR and opened up the ball socket on my BBK 1 3/4 Longtubes.

Reactions: coupe1993

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Made it back to the track and got a new personal best 12.32 at 111.77 and on a seperate pass had a personal best 60' of 1.69, this is with the T5 swap, installing a line lock this week to properly heat up these hoosiers and also plan on installing a 2 step for consistent launch rpm, hoping to trim more off the 60'!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Awesome story man, Congrats! Maybe I missed it, but what gears are you running? What is your rpm running through the traps?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks! I'm running 4.10 and hitting just about 6k through the traps,

I will be heading back to the track after vacation next week to see if we can't do better,

I have just installed my linelock, clutchtamer, also have a pertronix digital HP box to install mostly for 2 step / shift light purposes (need to install shift light also!)

and finally I am figuring out how to datalog with Binary Editor so hopefully can get the tune more dialed in as well.

I have been quickshifting so far but with more practice I want to start powershifting, pretty sure there are a few tenths just in shifting!

Reactions: Lemaster93

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well made it to the track last night but didn't get to make a pass, there was a car that wheelied off the line broke an axle ( I assume) hooked hard left and took out the tree! the car was up on the concrete divider, got a rain check for next week but there are a few things I wanted to work on this week anyways, I did get my shift light and 2 step installed but the factory tach is not working well with it ( works fine to 4k then needle drops to zero) going to install another tach, go through the valves etc before next week.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Well made it to the track last night but didn't get to make a pass, there was a car that wheelied off the line broke an axle ( I assume) hooked hard left and took out the tree! the car was up on the concrete divider, got a rain check for next week but there are a few things I wanted to work on this week anyways, I did get my shift light and 2 step installed but the factory tach is not working well with it ( works fine to 4k then needle drops to zero) going to install another tach, go through the valves etc before next week.
I think I saw a video of that. Was the car a dark green or black Maverick?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yeah, the black Maverick

·
Registered
726 Posts
How do you like the clutch tamer

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How do you like the clutch tamer
so far I like it just fine, I don't think I'm really making the kind of power or have the clutch grip to take full advantage of it though but it has kept the car from bogging off the line

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
ok, so got 3 runs in tonight and no personal best ET, let's just say each run had it's challenges!

I did barely eek out a new personal best 1.68 60' and new personal best MPH 113.38! which is almost 2 mph up over last trip to track in August so I know there are some 11 sec time slips when I get my driving and a few things sorted on the car!

I was having issues with
1. missing gears, I don't think this T5 is 100%, it's grinding into 5th and popping out of 5th when I let off the gas around town it's also getting notchy feeling from 1-2, not smooth at all)
2. I'm either hitting a hard limiter or fuel cut at the top of 1st and 2nd, car was cutting out, I thought I had adjusted all that in Binary Editor, I will have to take another look , maybe missed a setting.

Overall I'm real happy with the 113 mph that is with with the car cutting out at the top of first gear on that pass!

Anyways I always enjoy meeting other racers, gearheads and seeing some cool cars out at the track so it was fun regardless of my lackluster personal performance.

·
Registered
1965 fastback 306 hci v3-si @10psi Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
178 Posts
Awesome to hear your progress!
I went to sac few weekends ago. It’s been almost 20 years since I raced my fox body there.
It was good to see the track pretty much the same as I remember
I live about an hour away so hope to get out there this winter sometime
My car is down for engine bay paint, undercarriage paint, seatbelts, carpet and yes sound deadener

I’m interested in the clutch tamer as I’d like to be able to get Drag radial 60’ consistent Around 1.6- 1.8
I think I can do that with combination of some reliable controled clutch slip, two step and timing retard after 2 step launch.

Can’t wait to get some test and tune days in at sac.
What clutch are you running?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Awesome to hear your progress!
I went to sac few weekends ago. It’s been almost 20 years since I raced my fox body there.
It was good to see the track pretty much the same as I remember
I live about an hour away so hope to get out there this winter sometime
My car is down for engine bay paint, undercarriage paint, seatbelts, carpet and yes sound deadener

I’m interested in the clutch tamer as I’d like to be able to get Drag radial 60’ consistent Around 1.6- 1.8
I think I can do that with combination of some reliable controled clutch slip, two step and timing retard after 2 step launch.

Can’t wait to get some test and tune days in at sac.
What clutch are you running?
I'm running King Cobra clutch, shoot me a message when you head over to Sacramento raceway, be nice to meet up with some fellow corral members!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Update, made it to test and tune today at Sacramento Raceway and only made 3 passes because I had other obligations for the afternoon but managed a new personal best ET, MPH and 60'

I ran a 11.79 at 116.97 with a 1.59 60' and 7.52 1/8th, that was my goal for this year was to get a 11 sec slip!

No changes in the setup except tune by Decipha and lowered tire psi to 10lb from 13, launch rpm was 5200-ish? I don't have my 2 step hooked up right now

IMG_20201121_160520312.jpg

21 - 40 of 46 Posts