Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it to Sacramento Raceway last night for my first time drag racing and wanted to see where my car was at.

Made 2 passes, best time was 12.79 at 109.6

Need to work on 60 ft which was only a 2.0 but for my first time out ever I am pretty happy!

Gonna try again next week!

youtube link below of the pass, my Stepson got a video.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
You're hooked now!

Next thing we'll hear is "how do I run 10's". Then "9's".....its addicting, or a sickness--whatever you call it.

Just get out there & have fun, and support your local drag strip, no matter how fast you want to go.

I gotta put mine back together one of these days, maybe after I win the lottery

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plan on heading back next week to work on 60 ft!

going to try adjusting rear shock settings and didn't even mess with tire pressure last time.

mph calculator show I should or could be closer to a 12.4 at 109.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great job your first time! What tire?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good times. I just did my first track outing this October as well. We're not too far off in the 330' and 1/8th mile. We're on the same boat with those 60ft times though. Some members here have recommended a 26x10 slick for better 60ft times, which is something I will be doing over the winter. Keep the updates going and cool car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for not getting back sooner, tire is 275/60/15 Nitto 555R @ 20psi.
1 and 1/4 coils cut stock rear spring, solid lower control arms, stock uppers and strange single 10 way shocks set roughly in the mid position.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good times. I just did my first track outing this October as well. We're not too far off in the 330' and 1/8th mile. We're on the same boat with those 60ft times though. Some members here have recommended a 26x10 slick for better 60ft times, which is something I will be doing over the winter. Keep the updates going and cool car.
Thanks, made it back last week, best pass was 12.86 at 108.5
did trap at 109.9 on one run with a poor launch.

I don't think I am heating the tires up enough also did a few hotlaps and trans was heating up, slipping in 1st and 2nd, once I noticed that I called it.

going again this week!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
60' still poor, ran 12.9 this week but a new best trap speed of 110.3. Installing baseline outlaw uppers today also got a set of Hoosier QT Pros to try this week.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed baseline relocated street outlaw uppers and got a set of Hoosier 27x10.5 QT Pros, will try again Wednesday, on a quick trip to the gas station over the weekend the Hoosiers seem alot stickier!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Installed baseline relocated street outlaw uppers and got a set of Hoosier 27x10.5 QT Pros, will try again Wednesday, on a quick trip to the gas station over the weekend the Hoosiers seem alot stickier!
Should see a huge improvement. Low 12's.

·
Formerly LSNotch
820 Posts
Did you take measurements on the rear suspension? Before and after?

I've been thinking about installing the baseline relocated uppers. One thing that I don't know or understand and hopefully you, Kevin or someone else knows the answer. I took measurements on the rear suspension points and used the baseline calculator. My current I/C is 106%, so if I install the relocation kit it would move to about 186% iirc. So with that said, would the kit be worth it? I think 100% I/C would be perfect, no?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I have not made measurement yet as I don't have a real level spot to do so, maybe Kevin will chime in but my understanding is higher anti squat values helps separate or drive the rear end down more

the reason I went with the baseline outlaw version is there are six different mounting point available for the uppers to help dial in the anti squat value that works best for your setup. I am learning as I go. Trial and Error at the track.

·
Formerly LSNotch
820 Posts
No I have not made measurement yet as I don't have a real level spot to do so, maybe Kevin will chime in but my understanding is higher anti squat values helps separate or drive the rear end down more

the reason I went with the baseline outlaw version is there are six different mounting point available for the uppers to help dial in the anti squat value that works best for your setup. I am learning as I go. Trial and Error at the track.
I was under the impression that too much anti squat is bad as well as too little. I think there are variables when it comes to tire selection, track, manual or auto. I personally just don't want to waste money and effort if in reality it won't help me achieve my goal. I really need to understand how it works and what would be the recommendation for a manual with drag radials or slicks.

Good luck in your endeavor. I'll be watching closely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that too much antisquat may be less than ideal but I don't know the science - all I can say is tire spin off the line has greatly improved with these uppers and Hoosiers installed.

Results - Got 3 passes in and ran a new personal best last night, 12.54 at 109.76 on the new baseline uppers and Hoosier 27x10.5 Quick time pros, also was able to weigh my car at the track and she is 2868 without me in it and 3/4 tank of gas, full interior minus rear seat back - I was able to bring the car up on the converter more and launch harder with less spin.

60 ft came down to 1.8 from 2.0 previous best on stock uppers and Nitto 555R 275/60/15 on footbrake only.

there is still / always room for improvement, I will try again next week!

·
Formerly LSNotch
820 Posts
I agree that too much antisquat may be less than ideal but I don't know the science - all I can say is tire spin off the line has greatly improved with these uppers and Hoosiers installed.

Results - Got 3 passes in and ran a new personal best last night, 12.54 at 109.76 on the new baseline uppers and Hoosier 27x10.5 Quick time pros, also was able to weigh my car at the track and she is 2868 without me in it and 3/4 tank of gas, full interior minus rear seat back - I was able to bring the car up on the converter more and launch harder with less spin.

60 ft came down to 1.8 from 2.0 previous best on stock uppers and Nitto 555R 275/60/15 on footbrake only.

there is still / always room for improvement, I will try again next week!
Not to discourage you but I think the drop in the 60ft is from the tires alone. The Nittos are not a good drag tire but a good street tire IMO. I think once you have the suspension nailed, then you will start seeing great things. Also, I think you did good selecting a 27" tire compared to the Nittos that were the equivalent of a 28". You need rpms without over doing it. Good job!

Where's Kevin when we need him? I would appreciate if it can provide some light on the earlier questions. That would help you and maybe I'll be more inclined to purchase the relocation kit as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tires certainly stick better, agreed. I need some video to see what the rear suspension is doing, going to try to get my wife to go and film next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts