Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took our 2011 GT500 project car to the track for the first time this past Saturday. The only mod is a JLT Carbon Fiber Intake (Click for install article), other than that the car is completely stock. No tune, nothing.

On street tires each pass was a lesson in traction management. On my first attempt I tried power shifting each gear and the end result was a 12.6 @ 113 MPH. The car spun through 1st, 2nd and half way through 3rd. I was also surprised to find that I needed to shift into 4th at the end of the track, despite having the stock 3.55:1 gears.

I was finally able to get down to 12.3 @ 115 MPH by going a little easier on the gas pedal. Granny-shifting into 2nd and then rolling back on the throttle was able to knock another .3 seconds off, but I felt like granny shifting into 3rd was holding the car back some.

After a cool down I spoke with some other folks who were having traction problems and decided that perhaps I needed to heat the tires up more than what I had been doing. I was ultimately rewarded with a 12.129 @ 115 MPH! Power shifting into second was still out of the question, but I was able to go WOT into 3rd gear finally.

http://video.corral.net/video/13893

I think if I had figured out the tire issue earlier I might have been able to click off a little better time, but it has been YEARS since I've been down the 1320.

Now we'll have to see how she does on a road course!

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
So I took our 2011 GT500 project car to the track for the first time this past Saturday. The only mod is a JLT Carbon Fiber Intake (Click for install article), other than that the car is completely stock. No tune, nothing.

On street tires each pass was a lesson in traction management. On my first attempt I tried power shifting each gear and the end result was a 12.6 @ 113 MPH. The car spun through 1st, 2nd and half way through 3rd. I was also surprised to find that I needed to shift into 4th at the end of the track, despite having the stock 3.55:1 gears.

I was finally able to get down to 12.3 @ 115 MPH by going a little easier on the gas pedal. Granny-shifting into 2nd and then rolling back on the throttle was able to knock another .3 seconds off, but I felt like granny shifting into 3rd was holding the car back some.

After a cool down I spoke with some other folks who were having traction problems and decided that perhaps I needed to heat the tires up more than what I had been doing. I was ultimately rewarded with a 12.129 @ 115 MPH! Power shifting into second was still out of the question, but I was able to go WOT into 3rd gear finally.

http://video.corral.net/video/13893

I think if I had figured out the tire issue earlier I might have been able to click off a little better time, but it has been YEARS since I've been down the 1320.

Now we'll have to see how she does on a road course!
Awesome Chris! That's decent MPH. I trapped 113-114 stone-stock.
Did you give the car a chance to cool down? Just FYI- the stock tune starts to pull timing as soon as the supercharger coolant reaches only 100 degrees, which is quick. Once the motor's fully warmed up, heat-soak can be a problem and you need to lift the hood and let the car cool WAY down for that MPH to come back. As for the shifting into 4th, of course you do, that's quite normal. I had to shift into 4th with my '08 and it had 3.31 gears.
Sounds like you have the 1-2 shift "problem" resolved now?

I got ya by 12 MPH by the way... :angel:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Damn, I'm surprised the intake with no tune didn't throw the limp mode on.

A tune and pulley with that intake will wake it up quite a bit.

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, I'm surprised the intake with no tune didn't throw the limp mode on.

A tune and pulley with that intake will wake it up quite a bit.
No codes, and the car picked up at least 10 RWHP. I think it probably provides enough extra airflow that there is some added performance, but not enough that it is outside the ability to compensate.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hi Chris,

Didn't know you visited Mason Dixon, although I'm not certain how many other tracks are available around NOVA.
Regardless, good times. Hoping to drop by Mason Dixon a few times this season.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not bad. I've tried the stockish tire thing and even at the weight of this car it just doesn't work. The more I turn the boost controller up, the slower the car goes. Car right now is fastest with the traction control on LOL

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Nice time for a fairly stock car. So close to getting an 11 sec timeslip. Sticky tires will do the trick
I ran [email protected] with absolutely nothing done to my 2010 prior to mods.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Nice driving. Its all about being smooth. Nothing sucks worse than being on street tires next to a car on slicks. 3rd yellow and blam, they are already 4 cars out on you. haha

Street tires are always hard to touch 11's with. Best I could ever do on non-drag radials or slicks was [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts