Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fired up the red mule today after finishing my on3 install. Fuel pressure at 38 lbs, timing at 10* with spout disconnected, vacuum at 10-12" hg, A/F between 11.5-12.4 with idle surging between 700-900 rpm. I installed 340 lph pump, 42# injectors, and Moates chip tuned by PAS. All this with the fuel pump disconnected. With the fuel pump connected, the car will barely run...it's way too rich and takes a lot of throttle action to keep it running. I checked the plug wire firing order to make sure nothing got swapped and its correct.

I can't even drive it to a tuner like it sits...suggestions/advice welcome!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected the line supplying power to the fuel pump trying to burn some of the gas off and it never ran out of fuel...just kept running...

Edit: spout plugged bk in

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
What MAF do you have? if its On3 wish you luck i hear bad things about those...thats why my shop installed a Pro-M...they did an on3 install a few months before mine and had problems with the MAF not calibrated right or something like that...maybe start there?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am having the exact same problem as you man with a tune burn from PAS on my SCT chip. Chris said it could be a corrupt file on the tune I am not sure but I run 10 to 11 AFR at idle right now. I am going to mess with it some more but I will probably send it back to Chris he has been extremely helpful so far.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to order the Pro-M but Chris said he didn't carry it any more or it was back ordered or something like that so I ended up with the pmas sensor. I came with the calibrations results showing it was in tolerances fwiw...I'll be calling Chris tomorrow to see what he can do to help. I was thinking it had to be either the sensor or the chip with the A/F so rich and everything else where it should be.

As disappointing as it was to not be able to drive it, I was happy to hear it run even if it wasn't running right...open down pipe exhaust put a big smile on my face :D

Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine is running open down pipe as well haha. Let me know how your car runs without the chip man. Mine does not change too much as far as air fuel ratio at idle goes.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Remove the chip and run it on the factory tune. Just don't get into a lot of boost.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is running open down pipe as well haha. Let me know how your car runs without the chip man. Mine does not change too much as far as air fuel ratio at idle goes.
The car is a hour and a half away at my dad's shop so I can't get to it till next weekend but I'm going to have my dad pull the chip and see how the A/F runs. I'll let y'all know how it reacts without the chip. I'm not going to drive it until I get this fixed whether its the chip or sensor or something else.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris with PAS told me to try it without the chip and to also clean the contacts to ensure there wasn't any grease on it and try the Moates again...gonna try this tomorrow and I'll update results.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Sorry guys this is a first for my base calibrations, I am going to check to make sure this is not a burn issue when burning chip. Again make sure the contacts are cleaned thoroughly,
I do a specific tune for 42lb & 60lb combo's with the On3 kits using both the Pro-M and PMAS meter both are a good product, proven by many users here and local tuning we do. As long as either sensor is up to par brand name has shown no difference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Runs with fuel pump disconnected? Um ... that doesn't sound right.

Anyway, I would not drive it with 42lb injectors in it and no tune. Bad idea. It will be ridiculously rich.

You said fuel pressure at 38 psi? Is that measured at idle, or engine off?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Removed the chip and it ran the same...cleaned contacts, reinstalled but still ran the same.

Chris, I have full confidence that we'll get it worked out. I hope it didn't come across as if I was "bashing" you, PAS, or any of the products I purchased from y'all. It was Sat. when this happened so I didn't try to contact you and looked to Corral for help instead. You have been nothing but helpful and have gone out of your way to take time to explain things to me and answer all my questions. Customer service is top notch and you promptly responded to my email yesterday. I'll follow up with an email tomorrow to see what the next move is.

The fuel pressure was at 38 with the key on, engine off...the same with the car "trying" to run. I disconnected the power to the fuel pump and the car would kind of idle by itself but surging between 700-900 rpms. The A/F was still 11-12...not sure how the car continued to run unless its somehow syphoning. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that...I don't understand it either.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Could it be the MAF clocked wrong...was is the type you had to weld in?..or is this a Pro-M maf?...you did put the MAF in the correct way ?...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine is still having the same issue man. My maf is clocked in this position if that makes any difference at all. Chis has also been great to deal with answering all of my long emails and I know he will help us figure it out.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Removed the chip and it ran the same...cleaned contacts, reinstalled but still ran the same.

The fuel pressure was at 38 with the key on, engine off...the same with the car "trying" to run. I disconnected the power to the fuel pump and the car would kind of idle by itself but surging between 700-900 rpms. The A/F was still 11-12...not sure how the car continued to run unless its somehow syphoning. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that...I don't understand it either.

Fuel pressure sounds okay. What wire did you disconnect for the fuel pump?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuel pressure sounds okay. What wire did you disconnect for the fuel pump?
The connector on the wires coming from under the hatch going to the tank. With this disconnected, at key on/engine off, the pump would not run so I assume it was the same with key on/engine running, since FP didn't hold at 38 once it cranked but couldn't hear it running over the open downpipe if it was :rofl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts