Ford Mustang Forums banner

First solo, I'm excited.

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  t500hps 
#1 ·
Well, I have finally (I hope ) gotten myself ready. The car....not so much but we will be on the course and I'm excited. All started from a neighborhood kid that thought I'm cooler than I am. I bought the car and parts. He has done most of the work. Simple things and we will add more as we break ground in these events. Sure wish I had some better wheels and tires. Lol.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't worry about the wheels and tires just yet. Just go and have a good time, knowing that the overdriving mistakes you'll likely make will be tearing up less expensive tires. Tires that you aren't going to care about "using up" as much as the typically shorter-lived $300 (each) tires that you'll most likely end up running on.

Norm

#6 ·
Well what a learning experience. And I'm glad after all these years the neighborhood kid pushed me to do this. But now I'm hooked and so is he. So, after reading.....what square setup works well with the 95 mustangs. I've removed the front inner fender. And is there any way to get a 18x11 +20 in the front? And if you can't is in better to run 18x10 on all four corners. Saw a guy fit 18x11 +20 on his 94 cobra. Thanks

#9 ·
I've found a IRS from an 03. With the proper mods does this setup perform better then the straight axle. I've read the MM swap results and seems that it may be worth the effort. Curious to corral racers experience. I have a TA and PH items and I'm ready to either sell those and jump to the IRS if it's the best long term setup. Thanks for any help.

#12 ·
I ran the IRS under my 01 Cobra but settled on the MM stuff under my Fox. Once the bind is removed from the Fox's rear the ride quality and hence ability to articulate over irregularities improves tremendously. When compared to the Cobra, there was not much difference in steady-state. Both the Cobra IRS and T/A equipped fox did stuff over highway joints and other irregularities; but did them differently. And the Cobra's IRS was stock. Fixing some of the issues with band aids increases NVH, and decreases ride quality at the expense of improving hard launch and corner carving compliance. In my view, you are moving toward the center of the spectrum with both rear suspensions. You just start at different ends with the two.

Since you already have the T/A stuff, and the IRS will need crutches, I'd stick with the T/A. It works very well especially for your intended use. Concentrate on seat time; go to driving clinics. As this stage in your development, you'd be surprised what better car control can do for your times than either the T/A or IRS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.