Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I finally had a chance to get the coupe out to Buttonwillow Raceway near Bakersfield this past weekend after almost 2 years of installing, sorting out bugs, dialing in, setbacks, etc etc etc. ~Three years ago my car was going high 12's on a stock motor. Then I parked the car for a year while I dealt with other things in life, then when I got motivated about the car again, I decided to make it handle proper. Still using the same 150k motor, which admittedly burns a buunch of oil, but other than that makes great power and just keeps going! :hammer:

I never would have thought I could go cat and mouse with E36/ E46 M3's, C6 Vette's, Miatas, EVO's, WRX's, you name it. What a blast! The NT05's are truly the best tire I have ever owned... they ride amazing on the street, they don't tramline one single bit, and the hype is right... they do feel like an R compound on the track. The hotter they got, the more they hooked. I chatted with an E46 guy at the track who runs NT05's and he said he got 15,000 street miles and 5 track days out of them ... we'll see. The best part about these tires is they start to howl when they are pushed hard, so over the course of the day, I got to know the track better, and I listened to the tires to let me know how much harder I could push them.

The suspension setup has come a long way since I had just coilovers, subframes, and rear lower control arms... It's hard to say which component of the MM kit that I like best, but since I added them basically piece by piece, I remember how each one felt after I went for a drive.

This is my setup:

Motor:
stock 93 motor, ~150k, running 20/50 to keep it alive
stock headers, gutted stock hpipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flow catback
March pullies, a/c, p/s (with cooler in front of radiator) running non-synthetic Type F fluid and a 96 Cobra steering rack
Pep Boys 3-core radiator, Mark 8 electric fan, VW temp switch

Drivetrain:
stock T5, MGW shifter, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Centerforce clutch, Aluminum driveshaft
8.8 w/ welded tubes, Eaton posi, 3.73s, fox-length 31 spline axles, ARP 3" studs, TA cover, generic axle brackets to run Cobra brakes with fox-length axles
Saleen "replica" wheels 17x9, 17x10.5 with Nitto NT05 275/40/17 on all fours

Suspension:
MM k-member, t/a, phb, Bilstein HD's with 4-wheel coilovers, 325/225 springs
96 spindles with new Timken hubs, 3" ARP studs
MM adjustable rear swaybar, stock V8 front swaybar
MM forward offset a-arms
MM road race rear lower control arms
MM full length subframes
MM solid steering shaft
welded torque boxes with UMI plates
MM caster-camber plates
corner weighted, bumpsteered, 2* negative camber, 7.5* caster
Cobra brakes using Hawk Blue pads up front, stainless braided lines

Full interior, FloFit seats
Raceweight ~3500lbs with me in it

I'm stoked to have gone on my first open track event, which turned out very successful and so much fun!!! Big thanks to my best friend gpsmaty who helped me night after night with all the installs, welding, tuning, etc and who hooked me up with the wheels for the car as well. :salute:

Matt and I topped out in 4th doing ~130mph

Played around with EVO's and Subies all day, and it was super fun to get back to the pits and talk shop with them

On the 6th run of the day, pushing the car harder

Taking my girlfriend around the track, admittedly going a bit slower hehe

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I like the g-meter hanging from the rear view mirror:) When you can make the bottom of the tree hit the headliner, you know the car is hooked up.....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
One more weekend and the addiction will have set in and there will be nothing you can do except feed the monster.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you finally hit the track! Jerami fixed his car as well
Nice! What did he do motor wise? We need to hit Big Willow soon... you got any OT events planned in the near future?

sweet. ive always loved ur car ever since i saw it in car craft (i think that was the mag?)

got any motor ideas?
Yep, it was Car Craft back in 06...

Motor wise, I definitely have plans. I have a 10.5:1 347 with AFR 185's that I built sitting on my engine stand. But I've had sooo many bugs to deal with in terms of the suspension that more power was the least of my concerns. I'm just happy that the suspension is finished. After I do a few more open track events, I'll thing about putting the 347 in.

One more weekend and the addiction will have set in and there will be nothing you can do except feed the monster.
Errr... I can definitely see that happening :D Given that each weekend seems to cost about $500 with entry fees, gas, diesel for the truck, food, I'm going to chill for a while before doing the next one.

I like the g-meter hanging from the rear view mirror When you can make the bottom of the tree hit the headliner, you know the car is hooked up.....
lol ... I had never heard the term "g-meter" before Sunday when one of the Subie guys pointed it out. Truth be told I keep it up there because it's blue and it's been there for years.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Awesome pictures Chris! Katie showed them to me last night on Facebook too. I have to tell you how happy I am for you and all you've accomplished with the 8-6. As someone who's witnessed it's metamorphasis first-hand it sure has been fun and definately inspiring.

I have to tell you guys that I went for a "spirited" ride in Chris' Coupe weekend before last and it is seriously impressive! A true testament to the guys at Maximum Motorsports and all those fancy parts they make not to mention the extremely obsessive-compulsive nature of Chris' installation and preperation.

Going for a good ride, hearing your re-counting of the first track experience (and the effort it took to get there with the issues you encountered last week) and seeing these pictures has definately triggered a familiar tingle within! (No, not that tingle, the other one...) I don't know if Good'Ol Blue will be ready when your tentatively planning to go for another day at the track in a few months, but I'm gonna work on getting him ready non-the-less. It's way overdue, it's time again.

So here's a phat congrats! Well done bro! And, while we're on the subject of blue coupes at the track, this might trigger some good memories:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Was always impressed with your 1/4 mile stock time. I would kill for just a 1.9 60'. :shakehead Nice job with the rebuild. Next time in car vids.........or BAN! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice! What did he do motor wise? We need to hit Big Willow soon... you got any OT events planned in the near future?
Were you out with Speedventures at Buttonwillow? We have a big willow event on the 11th of Oct. I think Aaron has it priced around $170. We are also running the Cal Club Corvette challenge that day so there will be lots of fast cars to play with.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Nothing was wrong with it. Oil pressure sending unit was bad. LOL We're heading to Buttonwillow Nov 7 and 8. I've never been so I signed up for group 1. Going with NASA. I'm trying to get Jerami to at least bring his lazyass for a day. Big Willow sounds great. I'm sure I can get a few other OT'rs to go as well.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Cool story, cooler car!

Chris great job on everything the past couple years, as I know its been rocky.

Would love to bolt on some NT05s on my Cobra and run with you at Laguna Seca ;)

I also have to say that you are as much to blame as anyone for making the 86 coupe my favorite of the 79-93 coupes. Never thought I'd say that in a million years.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? :rofl:

I'm really likeing my NT05's and I'm hoping to get the correct configuration at tonight's track event so I can put some numbers to them compared to the last set of tires I had.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts