Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
90 coupe base 70mm On3 kit build.

Today was my first step in the install process of my On3 kit. I've been lurking in the turbo forms here for the past year and purchased my kit late last summer. I've slowly been installing the supporting mods; in tank 255lph fuel pump, 42# injectors, and such.

Today I removed the front bumper, bumper support, headers and mid pipe, and a few other small pieces.

I'll come back now and then with some updates and I'm sure a few questions. Thanks to the others (fmyth and Die-laughing) who have done the same as these have and will help me on the way.

My goal is to have a fun street car and toy with the 10 second mark at the track. My current combo in the signature is correct and is what I'll be running with the kit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has 85,xxx original miles on it; I got it from an old guy, no kidding out of his barn. It was sold at a dealer right down the street from me. I spent many hours detailing the engine bay and underside; thanks for the compliment.

I'vre been tuning N/A with the Tweecer for a couple years now. I actually got a good non-boosted tune all setup for when it ready to fire up. I had the fuel pressure regulator and 42# injectors running and tuned this summer with all the supporting gauges and wideband. I'm hoping it will be ready to drive from the start; then I can make a boosted tune.

Next step will be removing the engine and welding the oil pan with a return bung. I'm also going to weld a bung on each valve cover for an oil catch/vent can. I'm kind of back and forth on the idea of throwing a K member in which the engine is out; not sure if it's worth it for my goals.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am just about finished with mine. I kept my ac so things were a little tighter. Make sure you read through the instructions a couple of times and don't get in a hurry. The most time consuming parts I encountered were trimming the front bumper cover and protecting everything I could with heat protection.

Just a quick note, I first tried to use a cut off wheel for the bumper cover, then a sawzall and found the tool that worked the best was a air powered jigsaw that I picked up from harbor freight.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick note, I first tried to use a cut off wheel for the bumper cover, then a sawzall and found the tool that worked the best was a air powered jigsaw that I picked up from harbor freight.

Thanks for this advice; I'm sure it will cause me less headache. I already wrapped the headers and other hotside parts; in an attempt to give me a head start with the install.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Congrats!! on on3 kit , Welcome to BOOST!!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
whats up i have talked to u on here and on the local site seattleblueovals

, i remember u saying u were ready to install this kit. cool ill be watching to see how this turns out.

u should post this up over there also ,

jason

·
Registered
401 Posts
Congregation on yourt kit ,,it will be fun working on it :.. if u need any help feel free to ask

·
Registered
546 Posts
Still kind of puzzled as to why the majority removes the front bumper and support to install this kit. I left mine on, found it easier because you know right where the IC can and cant be mounted. You pull the bumper off then you have no idea where its going to tuck in behind the bumper.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still kind of puzzled as to why the majority removes the front bumper and support to install this kit. I left mine on, found it easier because you know right where the IC can and cant be mounted. You pull the bumper off then you have no idea where its going to tuck in behind the bumper.
Its only a couple bolts and allows much more working room from the front of the engine. It also reduces the chance at scratching up the bumper while I spend the next few weeks in and around the front.

·
Registered
401 Posts
good one same here a better when installing the mass air really sensitive:salute:
Its only a couple bolts and allows much more working room from the front of the engine. It also reduces the chance at scratching up the bumper while I spend the next few weeks in and around the front.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You have a GT. OP has a LX. Big difference when installing the IC on a LX. I have the same kit on a GT and a LX. The GT was a breeze. Installing the IC in the front bumper of the LX was like stretching a gnats ass over a door knob.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Second day on my install; I removed the radiator and trans cooler. All the wiring harnesses and fuel lines. I'll be picking up my buddies engine hoist and stand tonight; hopefully I can remove the hood and engine tonight.

Next step is welding the oil return and valve cover bungs on. A bit of engine clean-up and hopefully I can start the hot side install.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts