Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok, I’ve got somewhat of an update and another issue I have to deal with now. I finally found my keys! So last night I went out there and was messing with the voltage issues, I noticed that the cable going from the battery post to the fuse box wasnt connected very well, I checked it and it did have a small voltage drop across that wire, however I noticed that when I was holding it tight up against the battery terminal the fluctuation in voltage stopped, it was steady but the reading is still lower than what the battery voltage reads in my multimeter. (About .75v lower). While holding the cable I tried to write the calibration with the updated injector voltage offset and the ECM wrote the calibration just fine.

This morning i went back out there to fix that wire, I installed an O terminal end, crimped it, solder it and heat shrink it. Tested it and no more voltage drop across that wire but the fluctuation in voltage is back. I checked the other solder connection where the supplemental harness and main harness connect and it is good, I’m getting the same reading there as I am at the battery post.

While I was messing with that my laptop crashed. It shut down on me then I powered it back on worked for a couple minutes and shut down again. When I powered it up the second time I got an error message saying no hard drive has been installed so I guess it’s time for a new laptop. This one is about 8yrs old and didn’t get used a whole lot, I figured it’s better to get a new one that try and fix this one. What laptop are you guys using or recommend? I don’t need nothing fancy as it will be mostly just used for this, the old one spent most of its life in the shelf.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am using a HP Elitebook (model 9480m). Small and lightweight, and battery lasts a good while. Any of the HP Elitebook laptops will be good ones. I picked this one up for $175 used on Ebay.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have seen some pretty cheap used ones, ebay and craigslist but I just don’t trust them. That would be a good deal for someone who is good with tech stuff. I think I rather buy new and get the protection plan.
I’ve never heard of the brand Lenovo but they seem to have pretty good reviews.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I considered a tablet but I think i prefer one with a keyboard. My current laptop has the 15.6 screen and felt like it was a tad big, I might go with the 14 inch.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have seen some pretty cheap used ones, ebay and craigslist but I just don’t trust them. That would be a good deal for someone who is good with tech stuff. I think I rather buy new and get the protection plan.
I’ve never heard of the brand Lenovo but they seem to have pretty good reviews.
Lenovo is the old IBM.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I had a bunch of problems running ProM software with windows 10, so I use a 13" Macbook Pro. Works like a champ, no issues with the ProM software and the battery lasts a good while.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I just had to do the whole thing over because i screwed with my laptop and lost everything. Wasn't hard to do. Im lucky I kept the hard copy of the maf transfer function.
Is there a reason why you had to do everything over again? I borrowed my brothers laptop yesterday and installed all the software, this morning a hook up to the pro-m and read the current calibration that was installed then saved it as a new calibration. Everything looked the same as to what I had in my laptop before it crashed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I had a bunch of problems running ProM software with windows 10, so I use a 13" Macbook Pro. Works like a champ, no issues with the ProM software and the battery lasts a good while.
So did it, do you have the new or old usb box? apparently windows 10 doesn’t like the old usb driver. Chris sent me instructions on how to reset you computer to get around that. After doing that It worked just fine. I asked him if I should look for a different laptop and he said windows 10 is fine once you reset it.

I went to bestbuy yesterday looking for one and they literally only had 6 laptops in stock. They said since all this covid is going on that they can’t bring any of their shipments over seas into the store so they are sitting somewhere in a container.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I made a smoke tester as suggested, I didnt find any leaks in the intake side. I’m going to remove my x-pipe and cap off the collectors and check for leaks at the header gaskets. I was reading a article and maybe I’m getting a false lean reading due to a bad header gasket.

If no leak is present, the only other thing I can think of is the MAF transfer being off. I think the previous owner had an Anderson power pipe which I’m sure it flowed a lot more than my smaller set up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m a heavy equipment/forklift mechanic and just last week I had an engine (Gm 4cyl) that was running WAY lean.
I knew it had a good sized vacuum Leak as I could actually hear the suction noise near carb area.

I just purchased an eBay smoke test kit so I wanted to try it out.
Returned the next day and began to pump the engine with smoke.
I could not see any leak but it was pretty hard to hold rags (used to plug air filter and exhaust) and my flashlight at the same time.
So I had my helper look while I blocked the smoke and really pumped the engine with smoke.
We could not see anything!

so, I just used my old standby technique of running my mapp gas torch (not ignited) over intake area while engine was running.
Almost immediately the engines rpms went up and I had found my leak. At carb to intake manifold gasket.

I’m not sure why the smoke didn’t make its way out!?

I have a feeling it was too sunny /bright outside and we might’ve had better results if it was in a darker shop with bright LED flashlights to highlight the escaping smoke but we absolutely could not see any leak on it.
So if you suspect a vacuum leak and smoke test diddnt revile anything
I suggest using mapp or propane around intake / throttle body area and maybe have friend view live data to look for change.
you can also use carb cleaner, brake cleaner stuff like that and spray around.
I don’t like that as much because it doesn’t go away as Quickly as gas. (Think catching fire)
Look how bad this carb gasket was. Half of it has been sucked into the engine already lol

D938B6FD-38D0-4BD2-9487-5D4D16481C60.jpeg

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
because some vak leaks arent present without the engine running.

a removed oil cap is a vacuum leak but wont reveal itself with the engine off.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
yeah i found out the hard way. i had a screw in breather while running a factory pcv on my car. couldn't figure out why i was running lean on b2.

engine off smoked the hell out of it. nothing. just happened to put my hand over the fill neck and it almost sucked it in.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
When I smoked it I pulled my dipstick and oil fill cap and noticed smoked coming out of there, must have been back feeding through the PVC. I clamped both hoses and it stopped but still no smoke on the intake side. I tried it with the engine cold and hot. I will try it again and block off all vacuum hoses on the intake and throttle body, if still nothing I will try the gas torch method.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I smoked it I pulled my dipstick and oil fill cap and noticed smoked coming out of there, must have been back feeding through the PVC. I clamped both hoses and it stopped but still no smoke on the intake side. I tried it with the engine cold and hot. I will try it again and block off all vacuum hoses on the intake and throttle body, if still nothing I will try the gas torch method.
Yeah. It’s hard. Almost best to do a few test runs and get everything plugged with rags.
My smoker has low pressure regulator on it (@1-2psi I think)
Too keep you from blowing out seals.
Then you can let the smoke clear (pun;) and start again in low light with a nice bright led flashlight.
And it helps to remember your not looking for massive amount of smoke. Just the slightest little bit.
Which is hard when/if there is smoke escaping all the other obvious spots.
I prefer the gas method as it’s a lot less mess.

funny story... I kept knocking the metal smoker can over so I put a full tub of GoJo hand soap to weight it down
- When I was done I picked the soap tub up and soap poured out of the melted plastic bottom 🤦‍♂️

41 - 60 of 81 Posts