Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the suspension pieces are on, now we're just rebuilding the rear axle with a True-Trac, 3.55 gears and a T/A cover.

My question is, while i was putting the rear goodies on the car, i simply removed the quad shocks and the rear brackets that mount to the frame. Do you guys think that this will cause any handling issues since i wont be running a Panhard Bar just yet?

·
Registered
822 Posts
unless you are pushing major torque, the TA cover isn't needed. I've run my car many times without the quads. On the street it won't make any difference in normal daily driving. If you start launching at 5000rpm on the street, you'll notice they are missing...

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
What exactly is the advantage of the T/A cover over the stock one? Is it just less likely than the stock one to allow gears to be spewed all over the road when the diff blows up?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I have a T/A cover on my MM panhard equiped 02 GT Mustang. I bought it for stregnth, and easy fluid fill reasons. They aren't that expensive and I figure any support I can give my rear diff while launching on drag radials and nitrous........the better. The T/A cover has diff. retainer support studs built in that keep it from twisting. They are only tighten down to like 10 or so ft/lbs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought a T/A cover because my Diff plug in the housing was stripped. BTW- mine fit fine with the MM PHB. I have plenty of room.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the newer model T/A Cover with the recessed bolts (the bolts that are making contact with the Panhard bar in the other link are recessed in the surrounding metal). I'll give it a shot... I bought it for the easy fill/drain option.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
prez1967 said:
My question is, while i was putting the rear goodies on the car, i simply removed the quad shocks and the rear brackets that mount to the frame. Do you guys think that this will cause any handling issues since i wont be running a Panhard Bar just yet?
The quad shocks and panhard bar have nothing to do with each other. The panhard bar locates the axle laterally (side to side). The quad shocks help dampen the rotation of the rear axle (pinion angle change) to minimize wheel hop.

As for removing the quad shocks, it really depends on the car, some people can live without them, some need them. I dont have them on my car and I dont have any wheel hop with MM LCAs and new Ford uppers. The only definite time to remove the quads is when moving to another rear suspension type like a torque arm where the rotation of the axle is not controlled by the upper control arms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts