Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought up a complete MM package (Kmember, TA, PHB etc.). Am I crazy to try to turn my beloved Fairmont into something that can really handle in an auto cross setting. Or other racing events with like requirements. Would like to know if I'm crazy or if it can be done with the Boxtop?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sure it will work, the chassis is the same. But you're not the first. I have seen threads of this being done many time before.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure it will work, the chassis is the same. But you're not the first. I have seen threads of this being done many time before.
Yes, not trying to reinvent the wheel just wonder if it's worth the labor. Or is using a sn95 chassis that much better, type of question.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Unless you're married to the idea of using the Fairmont, the SN95 is the better platform. You'll end up swapping Sn95 stuff onto the Fairmont anyway, might as well save yourself the labor and use the SN95 from the start.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Unless you're married to the idea of using the Fairmont, the SN95 is the better platform. You'll end up swapping Sn95 stuff onto the Fairmont anyway, might as well save yourself the labor and use the SN95 from the start.
I dont know about the fairmont, but the fox is lighter. One of my main reasons why i love these cars so much, light and simple, with lots of engine bay room to work. The SN95 looks like a nightmare to work on under the hood. Also im sure people will come in here and say "the SN95 chassis is stiffer"

ok stock to stock it is because of a thicker/larger main chassis brace in the center of the car. However when you have SFC,cage, and other means on stiffening you are on par with other better designed chassis, plus the fox is lighter!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That would be a really cool car. Knew a guy who had a 78 Fairmont wagon with the full MM treatment and a 347. Looked really cool going around VIR and was competitive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Another reason to go with the SN95 body is that it will accept 275 tires with no mods. I just finished installing flares on my fox. What a pain. If I did not already have that car stripped out with a cage I would sell it and get a SN95 or newer Mustang.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I like smaller in order to throw it around better. I have an 01 Cobra but my 86 is more fun; both are verts. The 86 just seems to move around a course for me better than the 01. It's faster too, due to upgrades and such. The stock 01 IRS is a bit finicky, loses traction and axle tramps horribly.

·
USAF retired
9,035 Posts
I've had a couple LTD wagons, and an LTD LX. They corner decent with better stuff added, like any fox does, but the 5" extra inches of wheel base helps too with the LTD/Fairmont platform.

·
Registered
517 Posts
SN95 be damned! If I could find a clean rust free Fairmont Futura I would ROCK it!!
Any one of those "Sleeper" chassis would be a blast to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts