Ford Mustang Forums banner

faceplating tko questions ?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Blue351 
#1 ·
Thinking about having my tko Faceplated , does anyone know what the estimated cost is , this is a tko ll 26/31 3550 .

Those that drive there's on the street how do you like it ?

#2 ·
Call liberty and talk to Brad or Paul. I believe they can upgrade the internals to the TKO 500 or 600 for you. I bought a high mileage TKO 500 locally and sent it down there to get 2,3,4 faceplated. That was about 5 years, 5000km, and about 250 passes ago. I love it. I can count on one hand how many gears Ive missed :) However its not for the faint of heart. There is alot more to it than just bolting the transmission in and banging gears. I street drive mine without any issues.

#3 ·
Itll probably cost you 12-1500 depending, 1200 if nothing else needs attention, 1500 if you need to fix other stuff. I did my original TKO and it was 1500 before any shipping costs, the shift forks needed some attention and the reverse gear was cracked, so that was where the extra money came in, this was also years ago so the prices might not be accurate anymore. Best bet is to call liberty.

#6 ·
Best way to describe is like driving a diesel dump truck or semi. All shifts are low speed and deliberate. Double clutching is a must. Down shifting requires rev matching. If you forget, and casually pull the next gear, be prepared for a massive crash bang in the trans when the gear engages.

#8 ·
Without question. Powershifting was worth a solid two tenths when my car was running high 11s. I could powershift a T-5 with the best of them. But invariably with synchros missed shifts still happen. And after about 20 runs the synchros would be all burred up and require freshening. Ive got about 350 passes on a faceplated TKO and its been flawless. Go to my youtube and you can see how clean it shifts. Right foot stays on the floor whole pass.

#10 ·
I never had my TKO face plated and never missed a shift ever. I could power shift just fine by stabbing the clutch at WOT and yanking the shifter.

Liberty's reworked my shift rail and whatever indexes the shifter. I split the case and sent the parts to them. It was less than $200.

I've never had a face plated trans in my life and never had an issue shifting under full throttle in anything from T10's to T&C toploaders to the TKO600. The TKO600 I had could not be shifter fast when it had a stock shifter gate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.