Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of threads of people asking about faceplated transmissions, I sent mine in a couple of months ago and I finally installed it. It was done by Promotionpowertrain.com
I drive my car on the street a lot and I like to drive fast. 2nd and 3rd go in like butter, sometimes I don't even notice that the gear went in. Yes...it "clunks" real loud but it is all about going fast...right?
To drive normally I just shift real slow letting the rpm's go down and it goes in like a regular transmission. Down shifting is a little tricky but I do it the same way.
And yes, I kept messing with the car and it is running about 70% good. The carb is running lean.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My transmission was a 3550 but when Wally opened it up he said it was a TKO II. He said this transmission was an upgrade from the factory with tougher internals. My trans had a cracked case and some gears were cracked too.
Talking with wally I had a couple of options from around $1,500 to $1,900. I wanted everything available so I wouldn't have to upgrade again. My total was around $2,400.
I had the gears cryothreated or something like that. But my current transmission converted to.... Faceplated TKO 500 "bulletproof"....
My car feels alive now, but like I said it is hard to get use to the gears going in because they go in with ease and no effort.
I was always afraid of driving 2 hours to a track and braking the trans in the first pass.
I sent it during busy racing season but the total time is about 1 month, give or take.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing, Wally was a great person to talk to. Real nice guy and he was taking into account my budget, but at the end I said ...fu..it do everything to it.
I'll try to post videos tomorrow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts