Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 66 coupe with a stroked 351W. looking to make 550ish hp/ftlbs, shifting around 7000-7500. I want a stick (TKO or T-5). I will mainly drive on the street, but will go to the track. My question is: can a face plate or pro shifted tranny be driven comfortably on the street and not break? I've been researching this (many searches on many sites), and I've been going in circles. I've narrowed it down to hanlon, liberty or promotion. All of those builders seem to have a good rep; but I can't find an answer on face plating on the street. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I should be getting my faceplated tko 600 back this week from Liberty. Mine is mainly a streetcar also. I'd say it will take some getting use to but not be that bad. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Ive driven a faceplated TKO and the faster you shift, the smoother it is. You cannot ease it in gear like a synchro'ed trans.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I wouldn't do it for a mainly street car.I have a faceplated TKO 600 from Promotion and it shifts awesome under power but makes alot of noise on the street driving normal. I race alot so I like it but if I didn't I would take it out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking some more I am thinking about a astro A-5 (650hp). A t5 would be easier to fit in my car. It seems they shift great upto 7K, and are fully streetable. They are the same price as a liberty face plated TKO600. I am not 100% yet, but it seems like it would be the best option for something that is mainly driven on the street, but can still take a beating at the track.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Astro A5: Great transmission! I had one in my Fox for about a year before I sold the car and loved it. Shifts were smooth. It stood up to 485 RWHP with no problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have an Astro A5 myself and like it...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
After looking some more I am thinking about a astro A-5 (650hp). A t5 would be easier to fit in my car. It seems they shift great upto 7K, and are fully streetable. They are the same price as a liberty face plated TKO600. I am not 100% yet, but it seems like it would be the best option for something that is mainly driven on the street, but can still take a beating at the track.
if they're the same price,the TKO wins hands down.the only problem anyone has ever had with TKO's are the synchros,and you're getting rid of those.i drive my liberty pro-shifted TKO on the street a lot and can shift gears with hardly any noise at all.you use the same technique as if you were shifting a normal car without using the clutch,except that you use the clutch.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm going to be running a tko 600 faceplated by liberty gears ...

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
if they're the same price,the TKO wins hands down.
Having had both, I disagree. The T-5 is 50 lbs lighter for one thing. Additionally, a face plated T5 shifts smoother than a similarly prepared TKO.

In 2003 my car went through three face plated TKOs in NMRA Pure Street competition. In 2004, one G-force lasted the entire season, and required no freshening afterward, enduring both more horsepower and more RPM than the TKOs had to deal with.

There is the matter of the different first gears. The a-5 is available with a 2.92 first gear, which is well suited to boosted applications, but the tko's steeper 3.35 is preferred for NA usage. We had to raise our launch RPM significantly to compensate for the taller first gear in the G-force.

Steve

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have a Tremec 3550 with faceplated 2nd gear and proshifted 3rd and 4th that I just put in. After about the second shift I had learned it "sweet" spot to be able to upshift on the street. I can either double clutch it or wait for the rpms to come down below 1,800 rpms and it will slide right in with no noise at all and you can just ease it in. Downshifting took a little more time getting used to. I would say it took about 30 minutes of driving to figure it out. Downshifting to 3rd is just slamming it in gear and I get a small clunk that way and downshifting to 2nd, I have to blip the throttle slightly and slam it in gear and get a little louder clunk but thats it, no grinding at all. It literally took me about 30 minutes to learn how to do everything with this trans and its great, especially under power. I don't daily drive my car, but I also wouldn't hesitate to drive it at anytime. I would have driven it to work yesterday and today if I hadn't have bent 2 pushrods when I was trying out the new trans.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In 2003 my car went through three face plated TKOs in NMRA Pure Street competition. In 2004, one G-force lasted the entire season, and required no freshening afterward, enduring both more horsepower and more RPM than the TKOs had to deal with.
Steve
Steve, do you mean a G-force transmission (g-101, gf-2000 etc) or a G-force modified T-5? Obviously there is a big difference in cost. If a G-force T-5 is stronger and lighter plus shifts better than a TKO, that sounds almost too good to be true!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Having had both, I disagree. The T-5 is 50 lbs lighter for one thing. Additionally, a face plated T5 shifts smoother than a similarly prepared TKO.

There is the matter of the different first gears. The a-5 is available with a 2.92 first gear, which is well suited to boosted applications, but the tko's steeper 3.35 is preferred for NA usage. We had to raise our launch RPM significantly to compensate for the taller first gear in the G-force.

Steve
thats pretty amazing considering the crazy rpms you guys leave at.ive talked to a few p/s and r/s guys and the consensus has always been just the opposite,several broke t-5's and then a tko that lasted most or all season.what part of the tko have you found to be the weak link?

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
thats pretty amazing considering the crazy rpms you guys leave at.ive talked to a few p/s and r/s guys and the consensus has always been just the opposite,several broke t-5's and then a tko that lasted most or all season.what part of the tko have you found to be the weak link?
Well, regular T-5s aren't going to hold up for certain.

A lot of racers that had bad luck with the G-forces were using the 3.27 (or maybe it was 3.25) first gear and that piece was such a disaster that they quit making it. We never tried it.

Additionally, the wrong clutch will kill anything.

We were early adopters on the G-force deal, and had great luck with it. I heard rumors that some of the later stuff didn't have the correct metallurgical content, but who knows if that's true.

From what I know of the Astro stuff, it's all top notch, and has all the alloy verified and may even use thicker gears than the G-force.

I honestly don't know what parts of the TKOs were the most problematic for us. The first one was Darin's Liberty box. Our first pass in the car it went into 3rd and wouldn't come out. Darin later sold that on his own after having it fixed, so I never learned what was wrong with it. Our Hanlon box was so utterly destroyed that he told us only the case was reusable. To be fair to that transmission, we lost it in New Jersey, two weeks after breaking a bunch of rear end stuff in Joliet. It's likely that the trans was hurt as a side effect of the rear end carnage. Our third one, well, I'm marking that down as assembly error, but who knows.

All I know is breaking stuff sucks, and lifting a transmission that's as heavy as you are into a car while laying in the sand really sucks.

Steve

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have a g-force tranny with the face-tooth engagement. I drive mine on the street NO issues at all. a friend of mine badazzred88gt he drives his car on the street everyday as well. maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Pro Motion in Ft. Lauderdale is where I would go.

I drive my faceplated T5 every day, no problems whatsoever. No double clutching, no "blipping the gas" to match RPMs, etc. Drives just fine, but with a little clunk, no big deal.

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Steve, do you mean a G-force transmission (g-101, gf-2000 etc) or a G-force modified T-5? Obviously there is a big difference in cost. If a G-force T-5 is stronger and lighter plus shifts better than a TKO, that sounds almost too good to be true!
I was talking about the G-force T-5s.

They wouldn't let us run a straight G-force trans in Pure Street. That'd be a different class if they did.

Steve

·
Registered
674 Posts
We were early adopters on the G-force deal, and had great luck with it. I heard rumors that some of the later stuff didn't have the correct metallurgical content, but who knows if that's true.

From what I know of the Astro stuff, it's all top notch, and has all the alloy verified and may even use thicker gears than the G-force.

I was one of the unlucky ones that bought a "later" G force T5. I broke mine on the street, on street tires. I had it fixed and traded it in on an astro A5.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts