Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback. I want to dip my toes into some lapping days and such. Pricing for my area is $795 for Gold, $595 for Silver, and $495 for Bronze. Gold is beyond my need so I was thinking of something along the lines of the Silver Package.

http://www.faasst.com/Schools.html

Who has attending these types of schools or even this school?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Looking for feedback. I want to dip my toes into some lapping days and such. Pricing for my area is $795 for Gold, $595 for Silver, and $495 for Bronze. Gold is beyond my need so I was thinking of something along the lines of the Silver Package.

http://www.faasst.com/Schools.html

Who has attending these types of schools or even this school?
Wow -- that's really expensive. Maybe I'm missing something. What's so special about these guys?

What do you get that you don't get in a normal HPDE organization like Car Guys, The Driver's Edge or TWS's Performance Driving School? These outfits give you all the same track time and instruction as these FAASST guys do for about half the cost.

And the NASA Racecraft school is about half the cost, too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Fasst is good if you are looking to get a racing license, but I would look elsewhere to get experience.

Here is a good source for track events around the country.
http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html

NASA has a great learning program. I am not sure, but NASA-SE might be a bit far for you, but they hold events at Barber, Road Altanta, Roebling, and AMP when it finally opens. Those aren't too bad to drive to from MS.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/

You also have no problem raceway in your backyard. I would go there first.
http://www.noproblemraceway.com/roadcourse.htm

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I felt like it was expensive as well, but I've never done a "school." I'd like to do something along these lines, and I would love to spend less at the same time. There aren't many opportunities in my area, so maybe thats why they are expensive?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Price is typically based on track and organization. How many do they want to fit on course in a day will affect price. FASST is expensive no matter what track you are at.

Talladega Grand Prix (AL) is also a good little track that is not that far from you. Some of the guys from Grand Bay have gone there. I see events there every once in a while and is a very casual way to get involved. You can find events ranging from 150-225 a day to 250-400 for a weekend.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
There's a big difference between a "school" and a lapping day. Don't go to a lapping day because it's cheap. Your instincts tell you to go to a school for a reason. Trust them. But there are quality schools for about twice whst lapping days cost, not five or six times. Look into porsche club, bmw club, audi club, SVTOA, Car Guys, and Track Guys events, in addition to NASA and SCCA. All of which is covered in the FAQ's. ;)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I think I got my answer for now regarding the FAASST School. I'm going to look into the other schools, but my options are somewhat limited by track location.

PCA occasionally has an event so I may try to participate with them when it comes around

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
How hard is it for you to get to Dallas? NASA Texas has an event in October at Eagle's Canyon, just North of Dallas.

Personally, the best way to getting a racing license in NASA is to attend HPDE events to learn the skills needed for driving at speed on a track. After you get comfortable with that and have good speed, then start thinking about what class you want to race in and buying/building your race car. Once you have the car, enroll in NASA's racecraft school, after which you'll have a provisional license.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know, I've never looked into going to Dallas but I will consider it.

I'm not looking to get my competition license right now, I just want to start participating in lapping days soon and I'd like to run next years Lemons Race in Louisiana.

·
Registered
662 Posts
...I just want to start participating in lapping days soon and I'd like to run next years Lemons Race in Louisiana.
I'm shooting for my first lapping day at NPR on September 13th, let me know if you plan on going, I don't think there are a lot of mustangs that show up (mostly european/japanese stuff from what I can tell)...I'd like to check out your bullitt.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The reason I mentioned the NASA even is that they have regular HPDE sessions (HPDE 1&2 are in one group with 3&4 in another group with the racecraft students.) Not only would you get HPDE experiance, but you'd get a chance to see what the racecraft licensing school is like, talk to the NASA officials, and most importantly, meet the NASA racers who've all gone through the system before you and can give you the plusses and minuses for all the race classes.

Oh yeah -- you get to see some of the best musclecar racing around. NASA Texas has a very competitive bunch of people.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm shooting for my first lapping day at NPR on September 13th, let me know if you plan on going, I don't think there are a lot of mustangs that show up (mostly european/japanese stuff from what I can tell)...I'd like to check out your bullitt.
Why dont you skip the lapping day and go to the PCA School. Its not much more expensive than the lapping day. I think for non PCA and non car club members its $140. If you have a SCCA membership, Mustang Car Club, or some type of actual club membership I believe that you can get the price down to $120.

I''m planning to go to that and I won't have the time to do the lapping day. I'd also like to go to the school before I have the time to develop any bad habits on track and since I've never been, I figure I might as well learn the right way.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Why dont you skip the lapping day and go to the PCA School. Its not much more expensive than the lapping day. I think for non PCA and non car club members its $140. If you have a SCCA membership, Mustang Car Club, or some type of actual club membership I believe that you can get the price down to $120.

I''m planning to go to that and I won't have the time to do the lapping day. I'd also like to go to the school before I have the time to develop any bad habits on track and since I've never been, I figure I might as well learn the right way.
I didn't see the PCA thing. At the NPR lapping days, they do a classroom session and you will go out with an instructor for your first few sessions.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Me neither. You should think about doing the PCA event first. It might be worth it to wait and pay just a little extra and start out on the right foot. Plus it would be fun to have more Corralers there. Makes for better stories and pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts