Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a pair of cylinder heads or an intake manifold that has been extrude honed flow better than a ported head or intake?

just curious.

besides price, what would be the disadvantages to the extrude hone process?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Most people that get their intake/heads extrude honed after it has been port matched. From my understanding, the extrude honing process is really for making the hard to reach surfaces smooth. Eventhough this process does remove some material, it is not as aggressive as having it done by hand.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GT2KDave said:
Most people that get their intake/heads extrude honed after it has been port matched. From my understanding, the extrude honing process is really for making the hard to reach surfaces smooth. Eventhough this process does remove some material, it is not as aggressive as having it done by hand.
so theortically, you'd get the best results by hand porting, then following that up with an extrude hone?

also by your statement, it seems extrude honing would be better on intake manifolds, where as sometimes you have to cut the manifold in half to reach certain places by hand.

I'm just curious because when the time comes i'm thinking about getting a SVO or bullit intake and having it extrude honed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
you are right in thinking that an extrude hone, is the "finishing" up of the PnP process.....and well worth it if you are trying to squeeze everyast bit of power out of the car

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i'm obsessed with trying to make a powerful N/A 2V mod motor.

I'm trying to look around for an aluminum block now, and slowly build up an engine.

Hopefully i'll have it complete inside of 3 years. I'll either have my ported heads pulled off and extrude honed, or i'll buy a set of FRPP heads and get those extrude honed. But i'm thinking that the PI heads with the modmax oversized valves would seriously outflow the FRPP heads. Especially after being P&P'd, and then extrude honed.

Please dont kill me SD for talking about messing with your heads! :lol:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Using a grinder to clean up the intake as best as possible would definitely be the best starting point. You can take off as much as you want, you leave as much as you want. If $$$ doesn't matter a lot, then get the upper and the lower cleaned up as much as possible and get a good amount of material taken off of it. Then the extrude honing would be that much better, and be able to get the rest of what wasn't reachable. The only bad thing about getting the Bullitt intake extrude honed, is that it will cost you $750. $150 for the upper, and $600 for the lower. Trust me, I emailed them a while back, and then said screw it. I know there was at least one guy here on the Corral who had it done, and it cost him $750 as well. My recommendation..... just clean it up as best as you can. I don't think you'll see much more gains from the extrude hone job on top of the porting. It'll look really nice, and flow slightly better, but its expensive. If you're going for every ounce of power that you can get, then by all means, go for it. But, if $$$ is a restriction, then be satisfied with regular old porting/having it cleaned up. Thats MHO...

·
Formerly known as 302Quest
2,809 Posts
same here... an arm and a leg for extrude and hone to see minimal gains... on a stock intake.. let alone a ported one..
i don't think it's worth it right yet.. imho..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this is way down the road as far as touching my cylinder heads, i just got them put on last week! :lol:

Money of course is a restriction being that i'm in college, but since i'm spreading out this project so that it'll be finished when i graduate college, money isn't AS BIG of a restriction, cuz i'm spreading it out over a long period of time.

I'm just bringing this up cuz i got the new MM&FF and they had an article on extrude honing where they did a set of 4V heads and a bullitt intake. That kinda sparked my interest.

·
2,809 Posts
i'd heard about it a few months ago.. called them up, very nice imo
gave me the skinny on the price for the whole intake, etc.. but i just couldn't justify it with my mods.. maybe if i was going s/c or turbo.. or as a last mod type deal, when everything else was done... oh well...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm gonna second everyone else's opinion on the cost issue...but on the other hand, I'm gonna spend the money to get it done....much later....

·
2,809 Posts
i agree with much later... like after everything else is done...
i could use that $ for better power gains on other mods for the time being.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts