Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the engines I have had balanced in the past were internally balanced engines, so I have no experience with externally balanced engines and I'm guessing that it is only the crank that is externally balanced. Is this correct?

When building an externally balanced engine, wouldn't you still need to balance piston weight and rod overall and end for end weight?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
In addition to the pistons/pins/rings/rods/rod bearings being balanced, the crank, damper, and flywheel/flexplate are balanced as a "unit" (best case) or the crank is balanced to work with a corresponding damper and flywheel/flexplate.

At least that is my understanding. I have been told that if you really want it right, you send the damper you will run and the flywheel/flexplate you will run along with the crank pistons rods, etc.. to the engine shop to be balanced. That way you can be sure it is a matched set.

·
Registered
167 Posts
on several of my internal jobs the machinist never asked for flywheel or balancer .... but everyone of the external jobs he did for me he required them ..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Now I need to find a good machine shop in Pierce County Washington.

In the 70's and 80's, Pacific National in Tacoma was a great place when Haskell and Dave Bliss were there.

I had great luck with them and I have heard some horror stories about other places.

I have been out of the circle for decades and need to start doing some research.

Take care

1 - 5 of 5 Posts