Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been telling myself that I would get this done for my car, but it is about $500 and I'm not sure that it is worth it.

I'm concerned about a couple of things:

First and foremost, what kind of gains are typical from a custom burned chip and dyno tune on an N/A car like mine?

How much more beneficial is the chip than just the dyno tune?

Is there a more cost effective way to spend my 500 in order to gain in performance?

My mods are in the sig

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
859 Posts
on an old 302/blowercombo i gained 50 hp with a pms + dyno tuning. unless you are going blown or using nitrous, i don't see it necessary. i would get a tuning device like the pms. it is around $700+ but can be tuned to your current setup and can retune your engine with the push of a couple of buttons. rick andersen can even give you a program to use to get you near the optimal setting. i would take his program and start adding timing, when it starts to ping add more fuel to see how it responds. just run it at the track and watch your mph. if it increases or decreases. this may be more expensive but is something your car can grow with for future mods.and can make tuning your somewhat fun. was the 500 with a chip burned? if so any future mods and a new chip will have to be burned again(another 500). i have the pms and all i pay is dyno time(200-300) for each session(3+ hours)so its a cheaper route to go if you change a lot, similar to nitrous vs blower cost

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TTT

Thanks I hadn't considered that. I've never really tuned a car before. How difficult is it? I don't mind trying it but I want to get everything out of this combo that I can, and I'm sure that I will not change the combo again for a very long time. I would like to run into someone with one of these tuners and see what they think about it.

However, I am still curious as to how much I would pick up. I'm not sure that it's worth the 500 or 700 that i will spend. That's a big deal for me. How many HP could I get out of a burned chip? I realize that gains with forced induction are higher, but I don't know by how much.

Thanks

Chris

·
Old timer
5,770 Posts
FastDriver said:

Is there a more cost effective way to spend my 500 in order to gain in performance?

Chris
Hi Chris,

Grab an EEC-Tuner and let me know when you're ready to tweak! There's plenty of FTI customers we can use for a data base to help you tune the beast in.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts