Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was running my car this afternoon and the exhuast housung was :barf: smoking when i shut it off? it wasn't glowing orange or anything like that, any ideas?

·
Registered
683 Posts
How hard were you running the car before turning it off?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very hard , only for a mile or so, i was trying to set the manuel boost controller, i am not having much luck i cannot get the boost to stay under 17, i feel that i have tried everything, i have a 14.7 spring in the wastegate and in the bov also, i haven't noticed the smoke today though

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you've working around the turbo much, the smoke was probably oily residue from your hands.

Also, tsk tsk on shutting it down after driving it so hard ;). Next time, go drive around for a few minutes to let everything slowly cool down.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh is see on the oily residue, but why drive around for a few minutes, i hear the turbo still spinning after i shut the car off?

·
Registered
683 Posts
When driven hard, the turbo gets extremely hot (hence the smoke) very quickly. If you turn it off without giving it time to cool down, the oil just sits in the turbo and cooks. This is what people mean when they say 'coking'. This is a primary reason for turbo failures.

On the other hand, if you drive around for a few minutes before shutting it down, the oil circulates through the turbo and cools it off. Since the oil circulates (instead of just sitting there), it doesn't cook.

Have a good day!
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts