Ford Mustang Forums banner

Exhaust for 427W

6K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  FoxBodyNut 
#1 ·
Building an NA Dart 427.

I’ve got the BBK 1 3/4 Long tubes but note sure what mid pipe to use.

I’m not seeing many mid pipes that aren’t 3 inch.

Do most guys do customs exhaust from the headers back if you want more than 2.5 inch? Right now I’m thinking to just use dumps instead of tail pipes to shorten the overall exhaust length.

this is a hot street car primarily.

#2 ·
I just went through this myself for my NA 427 from fordstrokers.

ended up using the same bbk headers you have. And paired them to a Mac h pipe which is no longer available.

theres an exhaust shortage At this Time. I suggest calling dr gas pipe for your mid pipe.

#3 ·
I just went through this myself for my NA 427 from fordstrokers.

ended up using the same bbk headers you have. And paired them to a Mac h pipe which is no longer available.

theres an exhaust shortage At this Time. I suggest calling dr gas pipe for your mid pipe.
I have the BBK 2.5 O/R h pipe for Long tubes that would get me on the road.

This is turning out to be an expensive build...

#11 ·
i have bbk 1 3/4 long tubes with 2.5" HEADER TO 3" ID 304 STAINLESS SOCKET 2 BOLT COLLECTOR REDUCERS 2.5" HEADER TO 3" ID 304 STAINLESS SOCKET 2 BOLT COLLECTOR REDUCERS | eBay and bbk 3'' x pipe
BBK 1786 3" and 3'' flow tubes 5.0 Resto Mustang 3" Flow Tube Kit Aluminized Steel (79-04) mufflers and 3'' flow master tail pipes
Okay that's some really good info there 408wf1... Tyour part recommendation would allow me to bolt on my 3" pro chamber i have to my bbk headers....

then I'll need to find a way to reduce it BACK to a 2.5" for my tailpipes so they will clear my panhard bar... hmm those may be really hard to find.

Thank you 408wf1!

#8 ·
The BBK 2.5 H pipe will do just fine.

Yep, it all adds up. Tell us about it!

My simple 351 swap idea I got from watching budget 351 swap youtube vids went from 0 to 60 (thousand) in 3.0 (years)

Are you EFI or CARB?

#17 ·
The BBK 2.5 H pipe will do just fine.

Yep, it all adds up. Tell us about it!

My simple 351 swap idea I got from watching budget 351 swap youtube vids went from 0 to 60 (thousand) in 3.0 (years)

Are you EFI or CARB?
EFI. I have about 1/2 of it funded. I need to sell my 347

I’m thinking to go back to auto as well. The

#12 ·
The Summit kits are cheap but you should weld them and trash the old school clamps.. Use V-Bands if you can. They are the only way to go.. YOu can tear down an exhaust in 5 minutes and then put it right back without fighting with crimped pipes..

#14 ·
VRS can make you a mid pipe, and sell the male ball sockets in 3" so you can cut off the 2.5" sockets if you don't have the BBK headers that are 3".

#19 ·
Nice build. Is the regulator on the shock tower NHRA legal?
I’m considering going lower compression to give me room to add boost later I go back and forth on it.

#22 ·
make your own stuff, can't hardly buy it now

it's not terribly hard to do if you can weld

had to build my entire exhaust system except the tail pipes. Oh and headers, but they needed some work too, I just didn't build them.

Everyone likes flowmaster tails, and they work. Dont' forget Stinger. I use Stinger's tailpipes, almost identical to flowmaster (I use aluminized not SS) but a little less expensive. Two piece tail pipe per side makes it a little easier to install than some of the others. Fitting 3" in there is a chore! Gets very close to the UCA and frame, not a lot of room in there. Mine is a GT with the GT rear bumper cover, so I also had to cut the tips off and put turn downs on it. Expect trimming to fit, nothing is a true bolt-on.

3" is going to be loud. Mine is for sure. Louder than I like. May try different mufflers in the future, may also add a pair of cats. Gonna suck some power out but I do drive it, and often.

the 4 cylinder car? 3" full system from the turbo back, dynomax welded muffler. Not very loud at all, but audible. Barely hear the turbo whistle. Kinda nice. I put about 400 miles a week on it now. Gets a little noisy when the wastegate is open but not bad, the turbo eats up a lot of noise.

#24 ·
I'm using RCI 1 3/4" mid-length headers. MAC prochamber 3" mid-pipe (cut & adapted to the RCI headers using v-clamps)

I used shallow-taper 3" to 2 1/2" reducer pipes before the mufflers. I cut the flow-tubes to allow for the added length of the taper pipe.

Seems as the exhaust cools, it's OK to reduce the diameter to keep the velocity up. I got the flow tubes on Ebay. 3" flow tubes ; and it looks like Flowmaster makes the 3" to 2 1/2" tapered pipes (as mentioned above also.)

#30 · (Edited)
I finished a custom exhaust build recently. Granted, my engine doesn't take full advantage yet, but I have 1 3/4" MAC headers with V-bands and Flowmaster 200 cell cats into a 3" H-pipe I made, running into some 3" Flowmaster Pro series mufflers, dropping down to a 2.5" set of LMR tails. They clear the MM Panhard with some tweaking of the isolator hangers.

Reactions: Stangdawg
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.