Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GT
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building an NA Dart 427.

I’ve got the BBK 1 3/4 Long tubes but note sure what mid pipe to use.

I’m not seeing many mid pipes that aren’t 3 inch.

Do most guys do customs exhaust from the headers back if you want more than 2.5 inch? Right now I’m thinking to just use dumps instead of tail pipes to shorten the overall exhaust length.

this is a hot street car primarily.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just went through this myself for my NA 427 from fordstrokers.

ended up using the same bbk headers you have. And paired them to a Mac h pipe which is no longer available.

theres an exhaust shortage At this Time. I suggest calling dr gas pipe for your mid pipe.

·
Registered
1989 GT
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went through this myself for my NA 427 from fordstrokers.

ended up using the same bbk headers you have. And paired them to a Mac h pipe which is no longer available.

theres an exhaust shortage At this Time. I suggest calling dr gas pipe for your mid pipe.
I have the BBK 2.5 O/R h pipe for Long tubes that would get me on the road.

This is turning out to be an expensive build...

·
Registered
201 Posts
The BBK 2.5 H pipe will do just fine.

Yep, it all adds up. Tell us about it!

My simple 351 swap idea I got from watching budget 351 swap youtube vids went from 0 to 60 (thousand) in 3.0 (years)

Are you EFI or CARB?

·
Registered
201 Posts
go 3'' all the way back bud dont short your self on power
Be careful recommending this. I purchased full 3" exhaust for my build with the same mentality you had and endedup taking it all off when I put on the full MM road and track kit. The torque arm and pan hard bar doesn't like 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have bbk 1 3/4 long tubes with 2.5" HEADER TO 3" ID 304 STAINLESS SOCKET 2 BOLT COLLECTOR REDUCERS 2.5" HEADER TO 3" ID 304 STAINLESS SOCKET 2 BOLT COLLECTOR REDUCERS | eBay and bbk 3'' x pipe
BBK 1786 3" and 3'' flow tubes 5.0 Resto Mustang 3" Flow Tube Kit Aluminized Steel (79-04) mufflers and 3'' flow master tail pipes
Okay that's some really good info there 408wf1... Tyour part recommendation would allow me to bolt on my 3" pro chamber i have to my bbk headers....

then I'll need to find a way to reduce it BACK to a 2.5" for my tailpipes so they will clear my panhard bar... hmm those may be really hard to find.

Thank you 408wf1!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The Summit kits are cheap but you should weld them and trash the old school clamps.. Use V-Bands if you can. They are the only way to go.. YOu can tear down an exhaust in 5 minutes and then put it right back without fighting with crimped pipes..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Be careful recommending this. I purchased full 3" exhaust for my build with the same mentality you had and endedup taking it all off when I put on the full MM road and track kit. The torque arm and pan hard bar doesn't like 3" exhaust.
He’s kinda right though. The 3” exhaust will make more power than the 2.5 will, especially if you change up the collector on the bbk header. A lot of us don’t run torque arms so there’s no clearance issues. Don’t get me wrong, 3” is tougher to route; but it’s worth it when everything is said and done.

·
USAF retired
9,199 Posts
VRS can make you a mid pipe, and sell the male ball sockets in 3" so you can cut off the 2.5" sockets if you don't have the BBK headers that are 3".

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Skip the ball joints and just use v bands.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Okay that's some really good info there 408wf1... your part recommendation would allow me to bolt on my 3" pro chamber i have to my bbk headers....

then I'll need to find a way to reduce it BACK to a 2.5" for my tailpipes so they will clear my panhard bar... hmm those may be really hard to find.
I have 3" 3-bolt flanges on the BBK headers, then a 3" X-pipe, then 3"-to-2.5" sections to go into 2.5" mufflers and tail pipes. I don't remember where I got the 3"-to-2.5" cones, but it was probably Summit or Burns Stainless or something like that.

Reactions: Cougar5.O

·
Registered
1989 GT
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The BBK 2.5 H pipe will do just fine.

Yep, it all adds up. Tell us about it!

My simple 351 swap idea I got from watching budget 351 swap youtube vids went from 0 to 60 (thousand) in 3.0 (years)

Are you EFI or CARB?
EFI. I have about 1/2 of it funded. I need to sell my 347

I’m thinking to go back to auto as well. The

·
Registered
1989 GT
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
heres my set up guys
Nice build. Is the regulator on the shock tower NHRA legal?
I’m considering going lower compression to give me room to add boost later I go back and forth on it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts