Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy some new tires. I liked the ET street radials that I ran last year but wanted to go to a 28" tire, so I sold the radials and picked up some used 28x11.50x15 ET streets (not radials) that I've been running. The tires are used and pretty much done for. I'm now trying to decide between the ET streets or Hoosier Quick Time Pros. They both come in 28x11.50x15 and will fit my 8" draglites. The ET's only have a 8.6 advertised tread width, while the QTP's have 10"advertised tread width. The QTP's cost slightly more, but not enough to sway the decision. Any opinions on which ones to go with and reasons why? Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I haven't used the MT ET Street, only the DR, but I do have the Hoosier QTP and I really like them. They hooked really well, no spin. I'm sure others have good experiences with the MT, but my Hoosiers have been great and still hold air without any issues. Not running tubes. Good luck in your selection.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
When I ran DOT bias ply tires I ran both brands. The wider Hoosier was better on mine, more consistant hook on so-so track surfaces. Two of my friends also switched to Hoosier from MT with similar results.

The Hoosier acted more like a full slick, in DOT trim, then the ET Street.

I now run a radial exclusively, the radial MT's rocked but this year I'm rolling on Hoosier DR's and they are right there with them.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
"The Hoosier acted more like a full slick, in DOT trim, then the ET Street."

This has been my experience as well. QTPs are an excellent bias ply DOT.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Depends on power level, rim size and space limitations. If you've got a 9-10" rim the 11.5 is an ideal size choice. If you only have an 8" rim you may not see the full benefit of the true 10" tread of the 11.5" section width tire squeezing it on the narrower rim, but it can work well though.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Most around here at the local strip do better on ET Streets than the Hoosiers. About a solid tenth better on avg.

I've always had good results with M/T ET Streets and ET Drags.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used to run the 10.5 and switched to the 11.5 last year. Love them both....you get an inch more of rubber. The 27" fits very nice in the wheel well too.....

27x10.5x15 or 27x11.5x15 QTP's, now thats the real question?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I also ran the QTP's because they made the 27" tire and did not want to cut the GT wheel well moldings. Ran the 27x10.5x15 w/ no clearance problems.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
ET Drags is another option, unless you're planning to drive them on the street.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
i ran a 27x10.5 on a 15x8.5 Cneterline. The traction levels i experienced well surpassed my expectations of a DOT Bias ply tire. I was able to consistently pull 1.56's with a 3200# car. I ran them at 14 psi and launch off my 2 step at 6k.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward the 27x11.50x15's. The class I run requires a D.O.T. tire or I would probably go with a full slick. Funny how the ET streets and QTP's are both D.O.T. rated, but both makers don't recommend running them on the street or say "not for use on public highways", and then go on to say that tubes should be used if driven on the street.

·
Registered
432 Posts
27x10.5x15 or 27x11.5x15 QTP's, now thats the real question?
Depends on power level, rim size and space limitations. If you've got a 9-10" rim the 11.5 is an ideal size choice. If you only have an 8" rim you may not see the full benefit of the true 10" tread of the 11.5" section width tire squeezing it on the narrower rim, but it can work well though.
I have run both sizes on my 15x8 Welds. The 10.5's fit and hooked better. There is a good 3/4" of "tread" on the each edge of the tire that never sees pavement. No matter how low I run the tire pressure. With that said, refer to what TC89LX replied ;)

Brian

·
Registered
432 Posts
Opps, that should have read With the 11.5s there is a good 3/4" of "tread" on the each edge of the tire that never sees pavement. No matter how low I run the tire pressure.

Brian

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I bought the 27x10.50x15 QTP's. They look good and fit well. They'll get track tested this friday. Does 12 psi sound about right? So far I already see one plus. I'm not running tubes and they are holding air. :leghump:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts