Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 1994 mustang gt with the 5.0 manual, both sides of my front frame is rusting out. I’m looking at buying a 1997 gt had the 4.6 automatic in it. It’s just the body, I was wondering what kind of trouble will I be looking at in switching my 5.0 and tranny in the 97.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I currently have a 1994 mustang gt with the 5.0 manual, both sides of my front frame is rusting out. I’m looking at buying a 1997 gt had the 4.6 automatic in it. It’s just the body, I was wondering what kind of trouble will I be looking at in switching my 5.0 and tranny in the 97.
I'm guessing your shock towers are rusting out? Northern cars are bad about that unfortunately. Sorry for your loss, please find a good resting place for that SN95.

Anyways yes, I think just as long as you have all the brackets, computer, wiring, and K-member from the 1995, everything should just swap right over. The wiring is going to be the biggest problem, and could turn into a nightmare if you don't know what you are doing. Also adjusting the manual pedals can be a pain, but not impossible.

The good thing about the 1997 gt is that now you'll have hydroboost brakes, which are great for big brake kits or swapping to a Coyote engine.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Personally, i’d Try and repair the rust as long as its not the whole car. If you have strut tower rust and not much else where in the car its worth saving. The money your paying for the donor car can definitely pay for the repairs if your doing mst the work yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s my subframe rusting out, I considered take angle iron or something and possibly welding it up out of possibilities to save the headache and money trying to swap. If anybody has ideas or suggestions on saving it would be helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts