Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building a twin turbo sbf 398w, i put a team z front 1/4'' motor plate and rear 1/8'' motor plate in my car poly tran mount...Do i need engine limiters? Ive seen some guys run them some dont...ill be around 1300 hp at crank, will be street driven some..thanks

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yes...I did and put 2 on mine with engine plates. One on each side of the block going from one motor mount hole on the block to the frame rail. Prevents foward/back movement of the drive train.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
To clarify what Jeff said the limiter he is referring to is made of tubing and the end that mounts to the frame rail should be mounted on the frame rail right behind the motor plate mount.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
To clarify what Jeff said the limiter he is referring to is made of tubing and the end that mounts to the frame rail should be mounted on the frame rail right behind the motor plate mount.
So this tube runs mostly front on the frame to back on the mount hole to keep the engine from oil canning the plates, which are weakest for forward and back flex and plenty strong for twisting?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So this tube runs mostly front on the frame to back on the mount hole to keep the engine from oil canning the plates, which are weakest for forward and back flex and plenty strong for twisting?
Exactly.

Reactions: TomR

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If you had a midplate and front block plate ONLY then the motor would spring forward and backward like a banjo string. The only thing that would be keeping the motor from moving too far back would be the drive shaft bottoming out against the output shaft of the trans. Using only a poly bushing will not be adequate either.

You can also use strut rods going forward of the motor that are tied to a crossbar somewhere in front of the motor. We've made plates that bolt to the holes that would normally hold the motor mounts then attached the rods to these plates.

ks

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Sounds like people could use a plate that has a lip welded on. My chassis car only had a front plate and a normal poly transmission mount. Never had an issue I knew about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts