Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to put Head studs in my 96gt and the mechanic informed me that ford doesn't recommend taking the heads off. THis is due to the fact that when the heads are put back on, the engine will knock. I am not having a ford dealership do the work, but my mechanic has a ford heavy mechanic friend doing the timing chains. Has anyone who has taken off the heads for gaskets or for the head swap experience this? Fords procedure is to replace the motor and use your motor as the core. I Think this is FUBAR but can anyone enlighten me on this. Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
The engine will knock if the heads/timing chains are put back on incorrectly. Maybe 100 guys have done a headswap on this forum. That is just rediculous.

·
Registered
733 Posts
No such problem. Grease Monkeys, HA!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See thats what Thought, and I felt that it was BS as well. But I am baffled as to why the mechanic would have said that?

·
Registered
733 Posts
mode101*96gt said:
See thats what Thought, and I felt that it was BS as well. But I am baffled as to why the mechanic would have said that?
Perhaps because he doesn't want to admit it, but he has no confidence that he can do the work without screwing something up?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all I have known this guy for many years and his credentials are impeckable, second this is the first time i have had anyone do anything to my car. I have done all the mods in myself and it sucks i cant do this one but i dont have a garage at the present time. I only learned of this cause of a ford mechanic. That is why i am asking if people have had this problem or not. Not because my mechanic is an idiot or myself for that matter.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Never meant to imply anyone was an idiot. Don't know of his qualifications, but many old-time wrenches aren't comfortable with digging into a modular, and I don't blame them. In any event, I experienced no knock problems after the headswap. Now pinging, that's a different story. You'll need to use premium fuel, since the unmodified '99+ heads increase the compression ratio, but that can be adjusted by modifying/eliminating the swirl dams in the new heads.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Bierbelly, I think you hit the nail on the head. Many people confuse the terms "knock" and "ping".

So, yes, it's possible you will get a "ping" that can be resolved by running higher octane, but the h/s project should never cause a "knock" unless something was installed wrong.

·
Registered
733 Posts
mrvax said:
Bierbelly, I think you hit the nail on the head. Many people confuse the terms "knock" and "ping".

I'm always right.;) And I never lie. Vote for me. :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
He isn't swapping out his heads for 99' heads... the heads have been lifted off of the block under full boost :eek: (above what full boost was supposed to be) :eek: and he is replacing the head gaskets, so there is no issue with ping from higher compression since the same heads are going right back on. Post took kind of a wrong turn there... same exact heads are going back on the car un-touched, just to set it back streight and eliminate confusion...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts