Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine bought a project car that came with a rebuilt engine. He was told a ford 302
The problem is, there’s no casting number in the usual location. It’s a complete motor with the intake already installed. There are some numbers stamped on the top of the block, just behind the back of the intake manifold. They are,
MF148551 any ideas on what block this is?
I’m far from an expert but yes, I know where the casting numbers are supposed to be on a factory block.
Thanks in advance, Brad

·
Registered
728 Posts
Post some pictures.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I get a chance to go back by his place I’ll snap some pics. Don’t know if I can post them, Hell I can barely figure out how to get back on and reply.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha, as expected, I’m an idiot. I went back and looked again they are there, just not where I was used to seeing them. I was looking for a number like on my older 351 block. His is a 90’s roller cam block, that’s the main thing he was trying to determine. The story is, he bought a 1960 falcon from a guy. It came with two rebuilt motors. One is a C9 casting and this one is a F casting. The previous owner got some sort of settlement, spent a bunch of money on the car and motors, decided he liked drugs more and sold it all dirt cheap. Couldn’t give much info on the internals of the motors.

·
Registered
543 Posts
A friend of mine bought a project car that came with a rebuilt engine. He was told a ford 302
The problem is, there’s no casting number in the usual location. It’s a complete motor with the intake already installed. There are some numbers stamped on the top of the block, just behind the back of the intake manifold. They are,
MF148551 any ideas on what block this is?
I’m far from an expert but yes, I know where the casting numbers are supposed to be on a factory block.
Thanks in advance, Brad
Ford stamped a partial VIN into every engine:

In your case MF148555 is the partial VIN of the vehicle that engine was installed in.
M= 1991
F = Dearborn Assembly
148555 = Consecutive unit number for that plant

So that block was originally part of a 5.0L engine that was installed in a Mustang in 1991 (Dearborn only produced Mustangs). I belive that in 1991 Ford had just started using its 'new' F1SE-BB block. The casting number and casting date codes should be located here:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it was there. F1SE I guess I’m used to looking at the older blocks that have it in a nice clear row on the flat area by the starter. As stated, I’m far from an expert. Just a little farther than I thought...
Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yes, it was there. F1SE I guess I’m used to looking at the older blocks that have it in a nice clear row on the flat area by the starter. As stated, I’m far from an expert. Just a little farther than I thought...
Thanks to all who replied.
Im curious if you could post the casting date code on your block. In the example pic above 5D19 = 19 April 1995

Paul

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul, sorry, I don’t have a pic of that area. I can’t figure out how to post pics. I’m going over to his place tomorrow. Might get a pic then. I’ve been in a tree stand all day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts