Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many problems are u guys having with the engine heat from the turbos and whats your solution.

·
Registered
317 Posts
turbo blanket and wrapped downpipe. my engine temps are norm, i dont know about the engine bay temp.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's the whole idea, to keep the heat inside the pipes. Not allow it to enter the engine bay. Same here, blanket and down pipe only wrapped, electric fan, and a proper tune. Never seen over 190* and that's with a hot summer day.

I've heard some where that a blanket will also help with spool time also?

I also have my starter wrapped since it's real close to my down pipe.

·
Registered
568 Posts
i've been told u shouldn't wrap the hotside by ON3 and B&G cause it holds heat.
The heat is what helps spool the turbo, the more the better really.

Anyways on my old setup i had wrapped the hot side, as well as the downpipe. The compressor side of the turbo was within 1/16" to the radiator, and i never had any issues with engine temps. This was with a small pathetic stock radiator with a pusher fan, and all a/c in place and working

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
My under hood heat was too much (for my liking). So I removed my hood prob solved.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ahhh, I like running pump gas, ton'o'boost, and packed under the stock hood. The only problem is everyone thinks I'm rice with the glowing under body kit :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I dont have to many issues with heat but everything is jet hot coated.Dont get me wrong it is still hot but it does make a huge difference.That helps when you have to work on it after a run.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Heat is my enemy. My car runs 210-220 on true street cruises in hot weather. There is just a lot of heat under there.

Working on somethings to keep it down this winter....moving trans cooler, maybe some high tech true cermic coating.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
My kit is coated (jet hot inside and out), and I have no heat issues. My car runs at 200ish on the street here in AZ.
Never melted anything...yet :(

Runs a lil cooler now with the E85 aswell

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
coated (inside and out), wrapped with dei titanium wrap, and some ebay turbo blanket.

not much higher than my novi2000 although i do regret not doing a before and after the wrap test as it made a huge difference in temps and spool (it was never an issue but saw a difference)

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
coated (inside and out), wrapped with dei titanium wrap, and some ebay turbo blanket.

not much higher than my novi2000 although i do regret not doing a before and after the wrap test as it made a huge difference in temps and spool (it was never an issue but saw a difference)
What type of coating do you have that you were comfortable with it on the inside?

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
ceramic coating, which actually is most effective on the inside wall as it's in compression rather than the outside which is more for looks

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Who did it? I am not having much luck finding people that will coat the inside of a hot side.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
When I had a hellion kit on my car I honestly never noticed any increase in under hood heat. It never had coating, heat wrap, or a blanket. I just dont know what all the fuss is about

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I am planning on coating AND wrapping my headers, cross over and DP. I picked up a titanium turbo blanket from DEI and will be selling off my DEI Black wrap (NIB) to fund titanium wrap to match. I am running a BG kit and with the few miles the car will see I am not too worried about header cracks.

That should help keep the heat at bay. But as a precaution anything wire or hose type near the exhaust is covered in DEI heat sleeve. Pretty cool and flexible stuff; supposed to protect from direct contact heat up to 3000*.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I am planning on coating AND wrapping my headers, cross over and DP. I picked up a titanium turbo blanket from DEI and will be selling off my DEI Black wrap (NIB) to fund titanium wrap to match. I am running a BG kit and with the few miles the car will see I am not too worried about header cracks.

That should help keep the heat at bay. But as a precaution anything wire or hose type near the exhaust is covered in DEI heat sleeve. Pretty cool and flexible stuff; supposed to protect from direct contact heat up to 3000*.
Wrapping the headers isn't a good idea, will void the warranty.

After 2.5 years and 125+ passes with 10 true street events and street driving I had some cracking on one header. Brian fixed it and had it back to me in less then a week but put me on a mission to get more heat out from under hood.

Wrap would have made this worse.

However, I am really hard on parts, you would never have that happen in a milder street car.

I will check out the DEI wrap for wiring. Thanks for that note.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Wrapping the headers isn't a good idea, will void the warranty.

After 2.5 years and 125+ passes with 10 true street events and street driving I had some cracking on one header. Brian fixed it and had it back to me in less then a week but put me on a mission to get more heat out from under hood.

Wrap would have made this worse.

However, I am really hard on parts, you would never have that happen in a milder street car.

I will check out the DEI wrap for wiring. Thanks for that note.
I am not concerned with warranty. I am more concerned with cooking everything under the hood. The car is nothing but a street car and leaving me stranded somewhere is worse than a pin hole or crack in the headers.

I have had the kit for over 3 years and it still has not ran. I am on a long slow costly build but I am nearing the end at least.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts