Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to run in a stock suspension 275 radial class.

It's a sb/nos class. You can run ANYTHING you want..there is NO cubic inch limit, NO intake limit, NO carb limit, NO nitrous limit.

This is an 1/8 mile class.

Race weight is 3100.

Best ET so far in the class is [email protected]

What do you build? What does it cost?

What would be the most "cost effective" way to make the power to run low 5' high 4's in the 1/8.

Be prepared to explain/defend your combo!!! lol

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Cost effective low 5's hmmm ....... is there such a thing ? lol

Whats your realistic budget ?

High revving 347 with 250+ shot comes to mind, gonna cost an arm
and leg to do it right though.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cost effective low 5's hmmm ....... is there such a thing ? lol

Whats your realistic budget ?

High revving 347 with 250+ shot comes to mind, gonna cost an arm
and leg to do it right though.
A 347? I gotta hear this one! lol

Cost effective is entirely relative. If you can do it for 20K with one combo, and another cost 30K, the 20K one is more cost effective! Think in those terms.

However, I don't think you could be further off with that. I've actually have a pretty high reving (shifting @ 82-8500) 347 with a 350 shot and the best ET I got was 6.02. BUT that was just me, there were other issues with that motor. Mostly in the valve train, and stability issues. But I don't think there was better than 5.80's in that combo.

·
Registered
711 Posts
looks like you already have the combo your looking for in your sig.

why dont you give us details on it. specifics on motor,cam,tranny,converter,gear ratio, tires, ect...

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
easy..lol..large ci small block , use a dart block 400-450 ci with 4 fogger stages of nitrous

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like you already have the combo your looking for in your sig.

why dont you give us details on it. specifics on motor,cam,tranny,converter,gear ratio, tires, ect...
It would have gone in the teens for sure, but I think that's about it. I was made an offer I couldn't refuse on it and it now belongs to someone else.

It WAS a 425" SBF. Dart IE block, lunati pro 3.9 crank, GRP 6.25 alum rods, J&E 14:1 pistons. CFE pro king heads 280cc intake port, 2.18/1.6 valves, nextec springs, jesel 1.7 rockers, blue thunder 2 piece intake, 3 stages of nitrous (plate and 2 foggers) custom carb shop 1050 domintor, cam was .775/,810, I don't remember the duration anymore, but I WANT to say it was 270 / 280 dur. @ .050 lift int/ext

It had so many systems cause I wasn't running a progressive, I just had digi-sets in the car. The nitrous shot progressively got bigger

I don't know the stall of the coverter, it was one I had coan make for the combo. It was a 9" nitrous piece. The most I tried to get out of it was 5K on the 2 step and it would get there. You dont' get a "stall" you get a "try this and see how it works" and it did, VERY well.

I had 4.56's in the rear. Tires are in the sig I was on hoosier 275 drag radials

:salute:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
easy..lol..large ci small block , use a dart block 400-450 ci with 4 fogger stages of nitrous
That's pretty vague. How 'bout you articulate that a little bit better,and budget it out?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
8.2 Deck Dart block with big 4.125 bore and 347 stroke for a 363ci motor i think.
0 balanced with light weight pistons. built for 10,000+ rpm

This will have lightest rotating assembly mass and rev-up the quickest.
Since 1/8th mile racing is over so quick you want your motor spin up thru
the power band quick.

Running high rpms (9-10k+) on a lighter rotating mass will make up for the smaller cubes.

This is where the cam and heads come into play.
For the rpms you're going to want to go solid roller with a set of matching
heads that the cam maker recommends. Whole valve train will need to be
extremely strong and stable. High end lifters, springs, shaft mount rockers, ect. ect.

Then spray the hell out of it.

A good custom cam maker is going to be the foundation the rest of
the engine really needs to grow from.

For cost $25,000 would not surprise me.

Someone like Jay Allen at Camshaft Innovations could spec up the motor and
cam combo for you I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8.2 Deck Dart block with big 4.125 bore and 347 stroke for a 363ci motor i think.
0 balanced with light weight pistons. built for 10,000+ rpm

This will have lightest rotating assembly mass and rev-up the quickest.
Since 1/8th mile racing is over so quick you want your motor spin up thru
the power band quick.

Running high rpms (9-10k+) on a lighter rotating mass will make up for the smaller cubes.

This is where the cam and heads come into play.
For the rpms you're going to want to go solid roller with a set of matching
heads that the cam maker recommends. Whole valve train will need to be
extremely strong and stable. High end lifters, springs, shaft mount rockers, ect. ect.

Then spray the hell out of it.

A good custom cam maker is going to be the foundation the rest of
the engine really needs to grow from.

For cost $25,000 would not surprise me.

Someone like Jay Allen at Camshaft Innovations could spec up the motor and
cam combo for you I'm sure.
That's funny, my old 347 HAD a jay cam in it.... want it?! lol

Light, and nitrous friendly don't mix. 8.2 and torque don't really mix either. ESPECIALLY with the head that would be on it to turn that type of rpm.
plus remember, the tire for the class is a 275 drag radial. A motor like that is going to have to leave the line in the 6-7K area... no 275 tire or car will hold that kind of hit.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
My vote is a 9.5" deck motor with a 4.1" stroke and a 4.125" bore. I would prefer a billet crank and aluminum rods, compression should be in the 13.5:1 range or so.

I would run a set of CFE Storm canted valve heads and a sheet metal intake manifold. I've always been a fan of split dominators if you've got the extra $$$ laying around. I would call Patrick at Pro-Systems about carbs for it.

Proline or Bennett should be able to spec you out a nice cam.

Me thinks that getting that kind of power down on a 275 is the REAL limiting factor in this class, not power out put, so definitely gonna have run a progressive controller. I would look into the Edelbrock controller, it's what I like. 3 stages at a minimum. I would get a good N2O tuneup from someone like Steve Johnson.

The real trick is gonna be getting the car to work on that size tire.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My vote is a 9.5" deck motor with a 4.1" stroke and a 4.125" bore. I would prefer a billet crank and aluminum rods, compression should be in the 13.5:1 range or so.

I would run a set of CFE Storm canted valve heads and a sheet metal intake manifold. I've always been a fan of split dominators if you've got the extra $$$ laying around. I would call Patrick at Pro-Systems about carbs for it.

Proline or Bennett should be able to spec you out a nice cam.

Me thinks that getting that kind of power down on a 275 is the REAL limiting factor in this class, not power out put, so definitely gonna have run a progressive controller. I would look into the Edelbrock controller, it's what I like. 3 stages at a minimum. I would get a good N2O tuneup from someone like Steve Johnson.

The real trick is gonna be getting the car to work on that size tire.
OK, now price it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
cheapest way is too just buy a proven car , economy is tough i see cars all the time cheap , then make it better and taylor it for yourself. sounds like you know what you are talking about , you can find something out there for 20-25k turn key freshen it and go racing

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheapest way is too just buy a proven car , economy is tough i see cars all the time cheap , then make it better and taylor it for yourself. sounds like you know what you are talking about , you can find something out there for 20-25k turn key freshen it and go racing
In some ways you are right. HOWEVER... Things are all good when you're 5'-9" to 6' tall average build. I'm 6'4" and 270 pounds !!! I needed to build a car around me!

I already have a 25.5/25.2 dual cert stock suspension mustang. It's pretty much a no holds barred type car, well as much as it can be for a stock suspension.
it's got 40 spline, gun drilled, star flanged axles, M9 housing. Santhuff coilovers, mark williams brakes, stange ultra case 3rd member...blah, blah, blah.. So I'm covered.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I'd build the biggest stroker with the best set of heads you can afford.

I wouldn't even consider screwing with anything under 400ci for these goals. Get with a reputable builder and tell them what your budget is.

There is no such thing as cost effective for this scenario. It's going to cost big dollars. But it'll be worth it!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
that tire is a bad ass tire. don't know why you guys think it's gonna be so hard.
bet my highport headed engine could fit the task. we can find some more naturally aspirated horse, and one huge fogger or two small kits, be it a plate and a fogger or two foggers no need for three. you'd be surprised at what all people miss out of simple combinations.
just my 02
oh, steel rods. and under 15k
eric

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that tire is a bad ass tire. don't know why you guys think it's gonna be so hard.
bet my highport headed engine could fit the task. we can find some more naturally aspirated horse, and one huge fogger or two small kits, be it a plate and a fogger or two foggers no need for three. you'd be surprised at what all people miss out of simple combinations.
just my 02
oh, steel rods. and under 15k
eric
I would take that Pepsi challenge. I'm not taking ANYTHING away from your combo, you've got that thing working well. But I think you're going to end up pushing against the head with the nitrous. the high ports just don't have the port volume.

What is your race weight to run on those 26's?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts