Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Im In the market and planned to have a local shop build my motor for me but got a call today and was told I would have to wait a considerable amount of time to get the motor built. I also contacted Ford Strokers and was told Id be on a 4-6 month wait right now maybe longer. With that said, I dont want to sacrifice my need for an engine for a quality build but I would like to get it in before it gets cold here so I can drive my car a little before the end of the year.
Does anyone have reputable companies they would recommend for a 363 Dart based motor? Im needing a shortblock with a custom cam and thats basically it. Let me know if anyone has a shop that might be a little less wait but still does quality work. Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
If I was going to get a mail order engine the only two I would consider is Fordstrokers and ZSR. I can't help you with a local engine builder.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If I was going to get a mail order engine the only two I would consider is Fordstrokers and ZSR. I can't help you with a local engine builder.
Yeah Jim and Zach know their Fords. Quality work is always in demand, so the wait is just a byproduct. The few months you wait flys by.

The wait time for an engine that will last for years to come is worth.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Absolutely everyone is slammed right now. We've had to stop new projects from even coming in the door, busier than it's been in recent memory. Might have something to do with those stimulus checks...

I'm afraid you might be hard pressed to find a good builder to work with your schedule.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I am in a 4 month holding pattern with my builder, but I knew that up front before I dropped the engine off. My race season is scrapped because of it, but at the same time the local track is still shut down because of a bunch of whinny ass snowflakes, so it really does not matter that the engine is on hold. I could not go racing anyway.

Reactions: thadude

·
Old timer
5,869 Posts
Just like a great restaurant, the best ones have a long wait.

"Quality is not expensive, it's priceless"

Reactions: Quik5oh and thadude

·
Registered
706 Posts
What i have learned from past experience is that there seems to be different types of engine shops - those that have long wait times based on the quality of their work & outstanding reputation and another that has less than efficient time management and a lack of any logistics co-ordination...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear you guys, and quality is not something I want to sacrifice either, soI guess it is what it is at this point and Ill just call this year a wash!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just like a great restaurant, the best ones have a long wait.

"Quality is not expensive, it's priceless"
Ed, im wanting to get a custom cam done as well for this motor, how long of a wait are you on right now for that? And could you help with the specs on what would be best for me? Whats the best way to get ahold of you and go over such details?

·
Old timer
5,869 Posts
Ed, im wanting to get a custom cam done as well for this motor, how long of a wait are you on right now for that? And could you help with the specs on what would be best for me? Whats the best way to get ahold of you and go over such details?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
First....you follow the yellow brick road to Emerald City.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First....you follow the yellow brick road to Emerald City.......
Thanks that was helpful, what would I have done if you didnt take the time out of your night to post such a revelation and really assist with my questions......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ford strokers was a 4 month wait when he did my motor 3ish years ago. I’d sit back and get some patience because that is who you want to get a motor from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hear you guys, and quality is not something I want to sacrifice either, soI guess it is what it is at this point and Ill just call this year a wash!
Look on the bright side, with the car down for an extended period, I'm sure there are other issues that you'd like/need to address. Now is the perfect time to do a wire tuck, upgrade suspension, bodywork, etc. Plenty of time to tackle those slow moving projects while you wait for that new bullet to get to ya, and it costs you no more down time.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts