Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I remember someone telling me once if I have a draw on my battery, put a multimeter on the battery and then ground to the body, then pull one fuse at a time and if something happens (on the multimeter) then you found the circuit that has the draw? Has anyone personally delt with this? I have a draw on my 87 GT and I am getting sick of pulling the neg battery cable when I park it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I just realized there is an electrical section, if a mod can move it, I don't know how to delete. Apologies.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What you need to do is actually a little different than you described. Unhook the battery & hook your multimeter up inline with one lead going to the cable and the other going to the battery post you removed cable from. Then with your meter set on the amps setting (you could also use the milliamp setting but if the draw is too large it could pop the fuse in your meter) you can start removing fuses to see where your draw is. One thing to do to help narrow it down is unplug or somehow depress your dome light switch or you'll see a constant reading while the doors open. Hope this helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you need to do is actually a little different than you described. Unhook the battery & hook your multimeter up inline with one lead going to the cable and the other going to the battery post you removed cable from. Then with your meter set on the amps setting (you could also use the milliamp setting but if the draw is too large it could pop the fuse in your meter) you can start removing fuses to see where your draw is. One thing to do to help narrow it down is unplug or somehow depress your dome light switch or you'll see a constant reading while the doors open. Hope this helps
It is a great start, thank you!

-P

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is a great start, thank you!

-P
You can use a test light in place of them meter. It's a little safer. Remove the battery lead, connect test light between battery and battery lead. If there is a draw the light will light, when you find the draw the light will go out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
You can use a test light in place of them meter. It's a little safer. Remove the battery lead, connect test light between battery and battery lead. If there is a draw the light will light, when you find the draw the light will go out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
ecm's kam is always powered

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just went through this process. Once I isolated the circuit, it was off the individual items. I still couldnt find the drain, until I did some more searching. Check the sun visors. Unplug both and check.....

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Just went through this process. Once I isolated the circuit, it was off the individual items. I still couldnt find the drain, until I did some more searching. Check the sun visors. Unplug both and check.....
...and what was the result? In my case, it was the under hood light.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good to go now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thank you again guys, I bought the car with the under-hood light disconnected so it is not that but I will report what my problem was once I isolate it.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
If it has any aftermarket lighting or audio or anything that required the installation of additional relays, triple-check them. I had a battery draw confounding me for a long time, and it wasn't any of the factory circuits running through the fuse panel. I finally realized that a relay for some auxillary lights was NOT wired through the fuse panel, but was mis-wired, causing a constant low-level draw.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it has any aftermarket lighting or audio or anything that required the installation of additional relays, triple-check them. I had a battery draw confounding me for a long time, and it wasn't any of the factory circuits running through the fuse panel. I finally realized that a relay for some auxillary lights was NOT wired through the fuse panel, but was mis-wired, causing a constant low-level draw.
Great point, now that I am thinking about it, I saw an imprint of a power amp on the back of the rear seats so they had some kind of system installed, I will have to see what I can find..

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts