Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble installing their turbo kit due to the factory fan and fanclutch? Obviously an electric fan would be ideal, but I'm afraid I should probably upgrade my alternator as well if I pull that trigger. The factory setup cools pretty well, but I wasn't sure if it was a pain to work with for a turbo install. Much to gain going electric? Besides the -$300 or so?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was figuring extra in that figure for an alternator as well... wouldn't it be fair to say that I'd need to upgrade to a 3G if I go with an electric fan?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was figuring extra in that figure for an alternator as well... wouldn't it be fair to say that I'd need to upgrade to a 3G if I go with an electric fan?
Do it right and do an aluminum radiator, e-fan and 3G alternator. If it means the car sits another few weeks do it anyways. Do a battery re-locate at the same time as well lol

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
YES. The stock alt is junk!! It cant handle the amps of a "big" fan.

Make SURE you get a GOOD fan as once you stick a intercooler infront the rad the fan/rad really has to work harder..

a good fan controller is allways a good idea too.

also I suggest IF you ever plan to relocate the battery do it all at once that way you dont have go back and rewire the alt/ect for the relocation.

as for the gains of a stock fan...... you free up a few HP plus...
Yeah the stock fan cools a stock motor pretty well but once you add some extra power and heat under the hood its not a bad idea to "upgrade" the fan aswell .

IMHO a ele fan makes the engine bay look "cleaner" aswell

you can run the fan to cool the motor withOUT it running at the track ect.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, y'all are telling me what I knew I'd hear! LOL! My last fox had all of the above and I've been tryin' to keep this one on the cheap, but we all know that's not gonna happen! haha. The car's a 'vert so, as much as relocating the battery is nice, I probably won't just to keep a LITTLE bit of what resembles a trunk. I'm planning on doing the turbo kit right after the first of the year, and I'm a little nervous about changing SO many things at once, 'cause it sure makes troubleshooting hard!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts