Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one running an EGT gauge if so what brand and how do you like it?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i have run several egt gauges and theirs not much difference in any of them. if you plan on tuning with them be careful not to rely 100% on the reading cause of variences. a lot of the accurarcy depends on the placement in the exhaust system. follow the instructions to a t or you'll have problems. trust me i know!!!! i just had a engine failure in flight in my airplane from making a adjustment to my carb to make it run a little hotter. little did i know the gauge was faulty. just be careful and check plugs often and dont rely on the egt 100%

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
When you lost your motor when you were flying did you crap
your pants?? Is a EGT really needed?? Not trying to hijack your trend, to of my friends that are turboed one has a EGT and the other don't the one with it says I need it and the friend that don't have one says I don't need it that's why I ask

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a wideband and my car is tuned however i just blew my motor and egt's might have been a part of it as i love to f aroung on the highway which lasts lot longer than the 1/4 and the dyno and was told that egt's can get up there and cause detonation

this aem unit caught my attention as i have a visual guide but also an extra analog out which i can log via my pms http://www.aemelectronics.com/egt-gauge-0-1800f-with-analog-face-772

·
Registered
297 Posts
i have EGTs in each one of my header tubes and also my downpipe. I log the reading on my FAST XFI. The only purpose of having the EGTs on my car is to try and equalize my cylinder temperture so they are all burning at about the same temperature using the individual cylinder correction feature on my FAST ECU. The tuning is still based on the wideband although i do look at the EGT on the downpipe for reference. Checking spark plug is still the best way of tuning.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
the egt's can get around 1050to 1100 but usually with a solid tune and good gas this isint a problem. high egt's are a result of a lean condtion therefore i would assume the wideband would have to read lean at the same time. on my planes as soon as you lower the nose or back off the throttle the egt and cht come down right away so if your thinking that prolonged driving is causing heatsoak i really dont think thats the case. and btw i did almost crap my pants when the engine seized up!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what happens to the EGTs if you load up the car for a long time... i thought they start to creep up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts