Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to add an EGT gauge in the next week or two, and I've narrowed it down to one of these two from Autometer. My question is, is there any inherent advantage to one sensor type over the other? It seems to me the second one would have a smaller "footprint" that the exhaust would see, but it has to be welded in. The first one I could pop on myself pretty easy. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 (sensor only, gauge is the same as #1)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would think that the bung on both sensors would have to be welded in for proper fitment?

It seems to me the second one would have a smaller "footprint" that the exhaust would see
I don't think that there will be a significant effect on your car's performance by putting the thermocouple in the exhaust stream, the large one or the small one.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I got the first one you pictured. I have not installed the sensor yet but it looks pretty simple.

I plan to add mine right before the collector on the driver side. Its supossed to be placed on the exhaust tube from the leanest cylinder, (which I think is #8). Until I get headers I am not doing this. For now I'll monitor that whole side of the engine.

The only difference between the 2 is one is more expensive an a little more acurate. At least thats what I was told by autometer.

duane v, I woiuld like the info to if you don't mind sending it.

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that the bung on both sensors would have to be welded in for proper fitment?
It appears to me that the first one is strapped onto the exhaust pipe, while the second one would require a bung to be welded on.

You have PM..DA Snake boy!!!!
Thanks, Duane, pm'd ya back.

The only difference between the 2 is one is more expensive an a little more acurate. At least thats what I was told by autometer.
That being the case, I'll save the $40 and buy the first one, although that second sensor sure looks sharp with the steel braided line and no clamp-on connection...

duane v, I woiuld like the info to if you don't mind sending it.
Don' t worry, no trade secrets on anything, he just said he's local and would help me tap my exhaust for the sensor. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Buy a westech gauge instead. Or at least a westech probe, they are much better quality. I had the #1 picture on my talon and the probe crapped out after 4 months. You tap the manifold and screw in the bung, then you screw the probe into the bung. The #1 is a K-type thermocouple which is easilly replaceable by a number of companies. The second one doesn't look like you can replace the probe which I would suggest against, ususally you can get a couple of years out of a good probe.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy a westech gauge instead. Or at least a westech probe, they are much better quality.
Got a web address?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool, I might go that route. The EGT/EGT would be nice, thanks.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
These are the part numbers and prices through Summit. Im using Autometer Probe p/n 5249 $48. Obviously your gonna use a 2 1/16 Gauge Ultra-lite= p/n 4365, $99. If you go the Phantom style gauge 2 1/16 = p/n 5765 and that one is $90. Go with the Autometer, Im very familiar with the install with these units and it will take me about 2 hrs to do, but it will cost you a IN-N-OUT DOUBLE DOUBLE ANIMAL STYLE WITH GRILLED ONIONS;) DA Snake Boy!!!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Duane v, from your expereince where is the best area to place the probe? Will it function acurately just before the collector?

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have long tubes and I installed the probe 180 degrees and parallel from the O2 sensor on the collecter of the driver side header. But it really wont do you much good until you can get your Air Fuel ratio at a dyno, then you can cross referance your air fuel readings with the Pyrometer gauge. Usually you would want to put the probe in the leanest cylinder (#8), but the probe Im using is too long..DA Snake boy!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
duane v said:
Im very familiar with the install with these units and it will take me about 2 hrs to do, but it will cost you a IN-N-OUT DOUBLE DOUBLE ANIMAL STYLE WITH GRILLED ONIONS;) DA Snake Boy!!!
Hehe, there just happens to be an In 'N Out a few blocks from my house. I'll be getting the gauge in early May, after I install my xpipe and headers (which will be this Saturday hopefully, up to my buddy w/the air tools) and hopefully before Shawn and I hit the dyno. I'm seriously considering that double EGT set-up over the autometer one, or maybe just use two sensors and a switch...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Every car I've seen that was being professional tested with temp probs had the located them within an inch or two of the top of the header (i.e. very close to the head).

Chris Yates
96 Cobra

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Its supossed to be placed on the exhaust tube from the leanest cylinder, (which I think is #8).[/B]

Can someone tell me why any one cylinder would burn leaner (intentionally) than any other? I can't quite figure that out.:confused:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
At least on the 4v the #8 bank is the leanest, well on my Stang it is. From what Ive been told its because the way the air enters the intake. Plus when I change my plugs the #8 has noticably the least amount of carbon on them..DA Snake boy!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
duane v said:
Why do you need air tools to do the exhaust??? Give me a buzz maybe I can give you a hand...DA Snake boy!!!!
Don't NEED them, but they're always handy. They'll save some time on the h-pipe removal, maybe with the starter, too. I appreciate the offer. My buddy is in Pasedena, closer to you than me. If you really want to tag along, pm me, we'll be busy all day, starting 'bout 8am, though I don't think there's enough room for all 3 of us under my car, heh. If we have time we're also putting spring/shocks on his gf's 3000gt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts