Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Hey all, dealing with a broken egr tube from the egr valve to the header. Car is a 96 cobra with a Vortech supercharger. I was driving the car last week and I heard an exhaust leak coming from the driver side headed area. Did some more investigating and turns out the egr tube had broken off from heat/stress over time. I am by no means an expert so this is why I need some guidance. The car does have long tube headers(not sure what brand.). From what I know the egr tube from the valve to the header usually has threaded connections on both ends. A previous owner/shop had modified the connection at the header with a flexible tube that comes off of the factory egr tube and used two “u” clamps to hold it in place. I’m gonna say this isn’t the greatest setup and most likely a hacked up installation. Unless I am missing something I am gonna assume to do this RIGHT the header would have to come out, cut out the adapter and weld in a new adapter that accepts a threaded connection. From what I’ve been told even to remove a header from the engine to work on is a chore because the k member would have to be dropped. It’s gotta be a $1000 job or more if I goes to a shop,and I’m not trying to open up a can of worms by taking a ton of stuff apart because I don’t have a ton of money to throw at the car at the moment. So I am asking opinions. Should I just repeat what is there with a new flexible tube? Where would I even get one? Is there a better way to secure it to the factory egr tube and the header than “u” clamps? Should I just delete the egr, and if I do won’t it throw a check engine light? I will attach pictures to better explain myself so you can understand it.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Personally, Id just replace the old flex pipe with a new one. Im sure it will last for years, and should be cheap to replace. Nothing wrong with the small exhaust clamps to hold it.
If you wanted to fix it perfect, it would be very expensive.
If you delete the EGR, you should tune it, and unless youre going for more power, its money wasted.

But thats just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
The blue silicone high temp hose works great. I did the cooling mod at the rear of the driver side cylinder head on my car while the engine was out and needed to use that stuff to route the tube around the fittings. Almost 3 years later and still no issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in residential Hvac and it just looks like it’s a flexible gas line tubing. (CSST) I wouldn’t mind just repeating what is there but I don’t like the clamps they used. I do like the idea of the blue silicone hose because I feel that would be a better seal with a normal hose clamp. That hose is rated for higher temperature that the headers produce? Where do you buy it at?

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Yes its super high temp hose. I got it on amazon. Its not heater hose, its its own thing. Its called VHT Silicone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts