Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Efi or blow thru?

Which would be better do a blow thru or fuel injection.
Im doing a 408w, th400, 88m turbo in my 89 coupe looking for 900-1000hp,
ill be driving it wed, sat and on sun on the street:evilgrin: and track on sat.

I know gas mileage wont be much but what would the different between the two be and would it be alot cheaper to do a blow thru?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Which would be better do a blow thru or fuel injection.
Im doing a 408w, th400, 88m turbo in my 89 coupe looking for 900-1000hp,
ill be driving it wed, sat and on sun on the street:evilgrin: and track on sat.

I know gas mileage wont be much but what would the different between the two be and would it be alot cheaper to do a blow thru?

Thanks for your help
Which do you feel more comfortable tuning?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
there gonna be pretty close to the same price if youre starting from scratch. efi for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
well im a little partial to blow thru cause thats what i have.

pretty much same setup. except i have a c4 instead of a turbo 400.

i like the blow thru cause its simple and tied in with a a programmable msd box its pretty damn easy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Both will work....well!! Just have to decide whats easier for you to learn/tune on. Blow thorughs are a little harder to tune than people think, but it gets easier once you understand the modifications and how they work. Id say the blowthough will be cheaper in the end, especially if your capable of building your own "crutch" set up. A MSD programable 7 is going to help a lot to. If you want to maximize every drop out of your combo no doubt stand alone EFI is the way to go. For a street/strip combo where you want some fast times, but also just want a fun street car blow through FTW

Davis & Co for the carb if you so choose, and you cant build your own.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
^^^ what he said. They will be very comparable if using good parts. I am running a blowthrough setup because thats what I know and feel comfortable with. I do believe there is a savings with blowthrough as far as tuning goes. With a wideband/fuel gauge/good ignition set up you can tune the blowthrough set up in on your own without alot of dyno/computer time. But like what was aid, do what you are comfortable with, both are very nice!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
my 408 turbo build is going to be blowthru carb. for the simple reason of cost. efi is quite a bit more. 1100 wont buy you management and a good set of injectors. you can get a carb for that. i know there is more parts then that to buy in either case but that is the main difference imo. i have efi but everything is too small for the next go ground.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If I were you I'd look at some sort of aftermarket ECU. I know that people have had luck using the Megasquirt standalone, and it works with the factory EFI harness using an adapter harness that you can buy from them. I'd imagine that it would probably be the cheapest entry into a standalone speed density setup on the market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts