Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... my first big turbo build. Coming over from the nitrous scene.

its a bb/s 327" 2V mod motor but an engine is an engine so,
Trying to debate on intake manifold choice...
question is do you go with a single plane, like an eddy victor jr to try to help top end flow as much as possible and just cam it tight to retain somewhat of a midrange
or...
something with some runner-length, like a TFS trackheat, which has 13" runners but with large cross sections so it still flows a lot of air.

Will having some runner length help with spool time on the larger turbo's?
Most likely going with a Comp CT5 8488, 1.10 a/r, so i want to make sure i can get it to spool as quickly as possible without killing top-end power.
I will obviously cam it accordingly... and i want to shift by 7k at the highest, preferably closer to 65-6700 as i dont want any ecu issues like i was fighting before.

any of you guys have any real world experience with intake swaps, even windsor guys, from maybe a single plane or box-r intake to a more street oriented setup or vice versa?

·
Registered
541 Posts
on my foxbody I had a single plane intake with an elbow. It ran good, but left quite a bit of torque on the table. I have since switched to a long runner style intake and havent gotten it back to the dyno. but from everything ive read or been told, it will be better. I dont think intake runner length effect turbo spool. that has more do do with cam overlap/exhaust diameter and length/AR of the turbo....

but im not a real experianced turbo guy either, so I might be full of BS..lol

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea not necessarily runner length... but I mean will a more street oreinted intake help with spool time over something like a single plane and an elbow?

Just trying the ride the fence on top end power (1000+ on fuel) but not kill its fun at 10psi street use.

·
Registered
584 Posts
its a big turbo still gonna be a dog no way around it on our 2v's...put some compression to it is better option to be honest..

what about the TF street burner intake?

i can show you a graph of a comp turbo ct4 billet 80mm i did for a standard gt..he has the eddy with 6061 and 90mm tb and he says its lazy but pulls great on the street(all he does it street race lol) its a 6speed car btw also..

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 9.5:1

I don't think setup properly that it will be lazy

Tfs said street burner wouldnt make as much up top but won't change midrange enough to worry about it.
Even talked to ron at foxlake about finding a p51 but he also said tfs would make a good bit more power because of the big cross section.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Kind of relates, but I have a sullivan upper and lower on my cobra. Out of boost the car feels like my stock 02 GT for midrange/driving around town.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I got the eddy with the 6061 and 75mm throttle body and a PTE 7675 CEA turbo with 81 ar and MMR stage 3 cams

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I have a 7175 and a P51 intake. Spool time is fairly quick. 20 psi.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm 9.5:1

I don't think setup properly that it will be lazy

Tfs said street burner wouldnt make as much up top but won't change midrange enough to worry about it.
Even talked to ron at foxlake about finding a p51 but he also said tfs would make a good bit more power because of the big cross section.

Properly setup spool time will be lazy lol..im not saying it will be wont spool till 5k lazy..but it will be noticeable lazy especially with the hellion kit.. just try the tfs intake..worst case if you dont like it you can always sale it..

Raise that Sh*t to 10:5:1:)

I still suggest going with a forward facing kit..that will help spool time big time..
Since we are going with the same size turbo..i can have my guy make a jig of the hotside and can shoot it out to you so you know it will fit..

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
Tune up, cam, and cylinder head will play a huge role. Is this a street car?
If you had an auto I would say its in the converter.

Also good luck keeping a clutch alive behinde that thing haha.
-Chris

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes its a manual for now... clutch is a McLeod Street Twin.

Yes its a street car but is def setup to drag race. Its fairly light and all team z suspen. Including arb.

I will go auto oneday, I'm fully aware of the turbo/auto combo and I'm a huge proponent of it myself, but it will still be enjoyable on the street and should trap its ass off.

I've even considered a boost plate or whatever they are called that will close off one side of split t4 housing till boost hits. Seem to be popular on some manual/turbo combos.

And I also know cams play a huge role... my main question was intake manifold and its affect.
Someone has to have built a turbo combo but kept there street intake and later swapped to a single plane... with no other changes.
Did they see turbo get lazier, see more topend, if it got lazier was car not as fun around town... etc.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And yes mike, when I say lazy... I'm thinking nail it and nothing, then at 5500 it hits like a ####house.

A 3-3500 spool wouldn't bother me, I don't expect it to feel like a stock ecoboost

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Why do you want a turbos that will be so lazy?
Have looked at graphs from 76mm's with .96 housings.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Just something to think about, a slower spool time within reason helps with traction on the street. The bigger my turbo has become the easier it is to drive around.

Just my $.02.

Even with 10 psi if you are seeing 650 rwhp you want the power to roll it and not hit when you stab the gas.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
^can you post a graph?
When I dyno it in the spring, I will. The car was dynoed with the T-76 @ 24 psi, but never with the 7175. I plan to do that in the spring after I install a different set of rear end gears.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts