Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's discuss the education system. What did you not like when you studied at the Institute, school? What do you want to change to make your children more comfortable to learn? I think it's an interesting topic of conversation.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Here is what I have seen in my 40 years of keeping up with "stuff".

Anytime and every single time the government is involved in, well, about anything--they're gonna find a way to screw it up. That is inclusive of PUBLIC SCHOOLS. This isn't likely to change anytime soon.

schools have to try to teach the stupid kids enough to get them to pass. They also have to teach the brighter kids to get them to pass and a lot of times what I'm seeing is "dumbing down" of the system's lesson plan so that everyone passes. The brighter kids breeze through without trying and the less fortunate kids BARELY make it. But why? Everyone's situation is different, and everyone individually is different.

The local school system, well a couple towns over, has been troubled every since the beginning of time, now under control of the state, and that's made matters worse. Race and racial relations play into it as well and that is horribly unfortunate. Some of these kids haven't ever had ANY sort of home teachings aside from gang banging, so that's all they know and all they've ever seen. They go to school to learn to read and write and they are so far "out there" that they can't. Teachers don't give up trying for the most part. Some of them lose confidence but they don't stop trying. Then when those kids leave school, they go home to a home ridden with crime and drugs, the parent (or parents if there is more than one) rarely spend time with them. Such a sad situation and I've seen it thousands of times. In this town I live at (actually I'm rural but not far from town), it is mostly working stiffs. We all work, even the moms. That also plays into how students learn things. But on the other hand, my girlfriend's sister has 3 kids, one in college (well med school) and the other two are 11 and 12 both girls. Sis put them through private christian schools and they are top notch. All 3 of them are. She works 2 jobs and still makes time to spend it with those two precious little girls. They come out here when they're tired of the city and we run around catching frogs and stuff that they don't have the opportunity to do where they live. Point being, their schooling situation is completely different and they actually learn stuff that isn't in the curriculum that's forced upon them by the state. That and they have christian teachers who teach them what's right and wrong. Every single student that graduates that school system graduates with honors. There were 74 graduates last year and not a single one of them had an ACT score of less than 23.

The entire country as a whole is starting to break. Look at the division between political "parties". The blame game, and it doesn't just stop politically, it's among all of us. We've become a nation of lets blame someone else rather than take responsibility for our own actions. And finally we've become accustomed to getting the kids out of our hair for school, and then a lot of times extracurricular activities before & after school.

I didn't have any of those, we didn't have the money. Why? Because dad was always buying car parts so that him & I could spend time out in the garage working on "our" Maverick (which I still own). Every single day after school and on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays we were working on something. Other weekends and there for about 10 years or so, every single weekend we were at the track, then repeat the next week. I didn't have time or money to play baseball or football or succer or track. I did play HS baseball but left the team to go to work full time when I turned 18 (had 2 years of part time before). As said, I growed up mostly poor but we did what we could with what we had and I think sometimes people tend to forget what that's like. I haven't and sometimes you see that in my posts here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stop teaching our children that the only way to succeed is to go to college and amass a huge debt load before they even start their lives. We need more tech schools. We have become a nation of people who don't know how to do anything but moan and groan.

30 years ago, I left my high school to go to a Vocational Technical school as I knew I wouldn't be able to go to college. I was top of my class in HS and also in Tech. I was accepted to MIT and wanted to study to become an EE. I received 5 scholarships but since I was a white christian male, the total of those scholarships was a whopping $600. My parents were poor, never did their taxes, and I was 17 when I graduated. No way to apply for grants or financial aid as I wasn't an emancipated minor. My only choice to pay for school was to join the military but I was pushed away from that path by a doting grandparent. I instead, fell back on my vocational training in electronics and secured a job which led to well paying and successful career in IT. I was able to do this because I actually learned how to do something in school rather than just how to pass a test. I am not the only example that I know of to have this fortune. My brother and numerous good friends all followed this same path and have fruitful lives because of our choices to attend tech school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts