Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know if I am off on this. I'm not one to go bash someone without giving them the opportunity to give me an answer on an issue and an opportunity to fix it. I have the old 6037 heads (techically 60379's, loc wired) and I have read many posts on the lack of a spring cup and the damage that ends up being done to the shims, the shavings in the motor, etc. Many threads, and many posts within those threads. They obviously know it is an issue, because they corrected it in their new heads.

I called them and asked them if they would send me the spring cups, they said, "No, but you can buy them!" I only asked for them because of numerous posts that I have read that state that if you push it, they will provide the cups, but not the labor to get the heads machined or the cups installed.

The guy, of course, would take no ownership of the problem, and said "There has never been a recall on them." I pointed out that hundreds of people have had this problem, other manufacturers put spring cups on their heads, and they even recognize the problem since they do it now. He said they 'improved' the new heads, that it is not their responsibility to fix old heads. He asked why they should give them to me, since they fixed them on the new heads? I said just because Ford fixes problems on their new cars (issue related - recall) that doesn't mean that you should be out of pocket for production quality issues. He just ignored me.

I think this is crap, especially from a company that supposedly had pretty good customer service. I even escalated to another person, who said exactly the same thing. I'm a big customer service guy, and unless I need a part that Edelbrock is the only company that can provide, I will not buy from them again. It is not a high dollar thing (spring cups, having the heads machined, etc.) but more the principle. I spent $1200 or so on these heads about three years ago, and it would be nice to see them stand behind their product to their paying customers. I also even considered buying the new heads, but my next heads will be AFR's.

I'm pretty disappointed in both of their attitudes, and WILL NOT buy another Edelbrock product. It is just too competitive of a marketplace to deal with someone who will not stand behind their product.

By the way, the shop that put my engine together three years ago (I lived in an apartment) recommended the Edelbrock heads, and I didn't know about any spring cup issue then, or I would have likely went with something else.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
do you have your paper work from when you bought the heads ?? I sent copies of mine in and the old cups and the bill from the machine shop and I think it was David still said no, untill; I started saying i want to talk to your boss and he said that was Vic Edlebrock and i said then i want to talk to Vic Edle, l I never talked to Vic, BUT i got my maching shop bill rembursed that i had sent to them and I think they paid me for my gaskets, they had already gave me the shims. I do-not think they want use to talk to Vic, he might not even know about the problem his idiots made !!!!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had no probs getting the cups. just called and mentioned I had the old heads and the guy shipped me out a set right away.. BTW, summit sells them for 20$, but there not listed online or in there catalog, just call em.. Cost me 100$ for the cutter and to have them installed. I didn't bother sending them the bill as I was having much more work done to them at the same time.

The old shim under the spring is fine if your keep it at 6k and below. when I had my new cups put in, the old seat shim was in perfect shape and thats with 8yrs of use on em.

Scott

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I just think you talked to the wrong ass_ _ _ _ . Edlebrock would be more than happy to satisfie you try calling again or write mr edlebrock himself . Then tell him you have the whole 82nd come down there an kick some ass ! WHEN THEY GET BACK FROM Iraq. Made in the USA

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I hate to hear about one ******** giving an otherwise good company such a bad name. I really suggest that you write Vic and tell him your experience. I don't know the man, but if he cares about the image and future of his company, he needs to know about stuff like this. Names, times, etc would be helpful. I hope you get things resolved.

Billy

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would call back, and see if you get someone who actually wants to do their job and help you. That is the problem that I am starting to see with these large companies. They are forgetting how and who put them there. I went through the same problem with my fridge. I know it is unrelated.. but.. The water vavle broke, for the water in the door, and it was 2 weeks out of the one year warranty.. The guy on the phone said they dont cover the 10 dollar part. It was out of warranty. Well it pissed me off, I mean 14 days out of warranty on a 1800 dollar fridge for a 10 dollar part. Well after explaining my situation and talking to "the manager" They sent out the part. I did pay for shipping. Call back and keep going up the ladder.. You will eventually get to someone who cares enough to actually help you. I hope.

Good luck,
Eric

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, thanks guys. It's really not a big deal, it is only a $20 part or so from Summit, it was more the attitude of the guys on the phone and the total lack of responsibility that there was a problem of ANY kind. I'd actually have been more receptive if they said that yes, there have been some problems but it is not their policy to send them out for free. I probably would have taken that better.

As for the fridge comment, I hear ya. I just took my Focus in to Ford, and it was only 1300 miles out of warranty, but still within the three years. I was pretty impressed, technically I could have been out (rear window motor took a dump, window was down and I couldn't roll it up) but Ford made a judgment call, and split the bill three ways - between the dealership, Ford Motor Co. and me. I felt that was good customer service on their part.

Oh well, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm getting ready to pull my motor apart to put in my Ed Curtis cam in the next week or two (I can't wait!) I'd take the time to see if Vic would be willing to stand behind it.

I hope this didn't come across as me bashing Edelbrock as a whole, I know that they make good products, but I guess you can't always control the actions of every person in your company. $20-50 spring cups for a customer that already spend close to $2000 on heads and an intake just seems like a no-brainer to keep a customer who may spend that much or more in the future.

edit: I did write a letter to Vic Edelbrock just now, just to try one last time. If they stand behind this I would definitely consider buying their products in the future, as this would be a good customer service move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts