Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have in the past been a bit critical of Ed, there are times I think his communication skills are pretty darn thin, but when push comes to shove, there really just isn't anyone else I'd rather have spec out a camshaft for me.

I'm putting a 363 (Woody did the short block) together for a daily driver, possibly autocross '95. Three weeks ago I filled out the infamous FTI cam order form, sent it to Ed, and paid for the cam. It has been taking a bit longer than usual to get the cam delivered, most vendors these days are up to their eyeballs, Lunati is no exception.

So Ed e-mailed that the cam left Friday and would be arriving at his shop today. Curious, I inquired as to why the cam wouldn't have been just drop shipped to me. Ed explained that all of his custom cams are verified for accuracy by him prior to shipping to the customer. Holy buckets, I think that is pretty darn cool! I'm not sure anyone else does this, but in the spirit of fair play I think this deserves a shout out. No wonder the guy never has much time, thanks ED!

Jay

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think this finally solves a mystery that I have been wondering about. You will see the Ed Cam Card Sheets posted from time to time and sometime the specs will be slightly different than anything in the lobe catalog.

I am thinking his sheet reflects what the cam actually measured which might be a thousandth or so different from what was advertised.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
If all of us went out and bought cam doctors, the cam grinders would probably be hanging from light poles by next Thursday.

Pistons, I can have a chimp load the machine. Cam grinders actually have to pay attention.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Cam Doctor is a wonderful thing. Have called out a few "professional" shops who sold a "custom camshaft" with no specs attached. There is much more to a good product, but seriously, the basics don't have to be a secret held from the customer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was unaware he verified the cam specs, that is pretty cool! I ordered my cam a while ago and it got to me in 2 weeks tops, I will be ordering my next cam from Ed, also the spring package he spec'd for my cam ( Lunati 73925) are very nice also!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a complete top end from him. The best part is he gets the heads bare and assembles the them at his shop before shipping them out. It comes at a price but peace of mind does have a price tag

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ok, so I have in the past been a bit critical of Ed, there are times I think his communication skills are pretty darn thin, but when push comes to shove, there really just isn't anyone else I'd rather have spec out a camshaft for me.

I'm putting a 363 (Woody did the short block) together for a daily driver, possibly autocross '95. Three weeks ago I filled out the infamous FTI cam order form, sent it to Ed, and paid for the cam. It has been taking a bit longer than usual to get the cam delivered, most vendors these days are up to their eyeballs, Lunati is no exception.

So Ed e-mailed that the cam left Friday and would be arriving at his shop today. Curious, I inquired as to why the cam wouldn't have been just drop shipped to me. Ed explained that all of his custom cams are verified for accuracy by him prior to shipping to the customer. Holy buckets, I think that is pretty darn cool! I'm not sure anyone else does this, but in the spirit of fair play I think this deserves a shout out. No wonder the guy never has much time, thanks ED!

Jay
I bought a cam from Buddy Rawls and he does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I bought a cam from Buddy Rawls and he does the same thing.
Yep, my experience with Buddy as well (3 cams to date)... even had to send one back, and not for a regrind, complete do over.
I'd not be surprised if when you get your cam, there are instructions with how to install it in your combo, for your desired results... and not a simple "it checked out, dot-to-dot is good to go"...

Ed can be rough... he'll call you out, which draws attention, and, I think that's good for the community... if he did not draw that attention, probably a lot of folks would pass by the knowledge he shares...
In my dealings with him (no product or $$ has ever transpired) it was a positive experience.
Short and straight, never gave anything away, but was kind enough to rely with "garbage" or "that'll work" type-a-deal help.
I did not end up changing my combo, but if I ever do, I hope he's still running the buisness.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I’ll say that the cam I got from Ed was 100% on the money with the cam card. Every measurement was dead nuts.

·
USAF retired
9,079 Posts
It's his reputation if the cam grinder phucks it up, so it certainly makes sense to verify what is going out the door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts