·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i didn't see that. I will probably end up using some toe-in plates.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm hoping to try out my reverse engineered Smart Strings(tm) sometime this season. :angel:

I still need to make myself one of the Dreamstick accessories.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/Moving__Target/Toe measuring bar/

(stole these pics from somewhere on the internets)

I've used a set of trammel points from Lee Valley, a 2x4 and a tape measure to do it in the past.

I just did this myself! I will try to remember to take picks of my homemade Dreamstick. Honestly, if you can get the string close enough to the rim I would just use a small steel ruler with 32nds degreeing for accuracy. Use fishing line or fine string for most accuracy. I just used contractor string on my jack stands and it was too thick.

Moreover, I bought a Smart Tool from Craftsman online to make my own camber/caster gauge. Another reverse engineer project.

I would actually like to discuss how you are going to set up your jack stands and strings if you want to talk. I got pretty darn close the way I did it. It's all in the initial setup. I want to try MFE's way next time.

John

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
8-foot 1x2 and a couple shelf brackets per my DIY alignment write-up, beats that eastwood thing, ah..."with a stick".

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I just did this myself! I will try to remember to take picks of my homemade Dreamstick. Honestly, if you can get the string close enough to the rim I would just use a small steel ruler with 32nds degreeing for accuracy. Use fishing line or fine string for most accuracy. I just used contractor string on my jack stands and it was too thick.

Moreover, I bought a Smart Tool from Craftsman online to make my own camber/caster gauge. Another reverse engineer project.

I would actually like to discuss how you are going to set up your jack stands and strings if you want to talk. I got pretty darn close the way I did it. It's all in the initial setup. I want to try MFE's way next time.

John
I got one of those digital angle of the dangle finders last year (very handy tool for this work).

Here are a few pictures to illustrate my home-brewed version of the Smart Strings toe setting tool:
Scan of one the instruction pages:

Dimensions I chose for the unions:

How it looks mocked up on my turd:

For the unions I used 1"x1"x 1/16" square tubing and the cross arms, hooks and what-not, I used 3/4"x3/4"x1/16". Some lengths of electrical conduit, couplers plus some odds and ends gives you a cheap DIY version of the $400 original. :)
I was just thinking I should change from the 1/4" SS eye bolts to some nylon screws to save the $1000 brushed on finish.

Jack stands are sooo past tense when you have a set of these babies. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts