Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 363 with a v3si. I'm running a 8" 8-rib crank and a 3.33 supercharger pulley. I'm considering switching for 93 pump gas to e85. I'm looking for the pros and cons of running e85. The fuel system in the car is a Glenn's performance sleeper tank kit. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
The only negative that I can think of would be availability. Otherwise a very good fuel. I am making about 1,200 hp on E85 @20 psi in my 358 cid (8.2" deck) SBF
You have to make sure you have enough fuel delivery. It will take around 30% more fuel compared to gas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Isn’t purity level a concern too? I’ve always thought that it needs to be at least 85% pure or the car won’t run right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Isn’t purity level a concern too? I’ve always thought that it needs to be at least 85% pure or the car won’t run right
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, a little but a small variance is ok. You can get a fuel checker that measures the alcohol content so you know what's going into your tank and you can check it as often as you like: every fill up or only before you go racing, etc.

I set my car up as a flex fuel car so I also have a flex sensor in the fuel line and it registered the first batch of E85 as having 80% alcohol which matched the fuel checker I used.

The biggest issue for me was converting the fuel system to handle the fuel requirement for 900hp so it takes some planning up front but otherwise it's not bad. I used 1/2" feed and 1/2" return lines in my system and a GOOD regulator along with 160lb inj's and three 340 pumps where two are activated via boost signal. As mentioned my car is set up as a flex fuel car so I can run 87oct or E85 and the computer (Megasquirt Pro) switches or blends the fueling tables as needed.

ks

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
I avoid purity issues by buying Pro E85 by the barrel from Renagade Race Fuels. Every gallon is the same and my tune is very stable. Costs more than pump, but when C16 is $21 per gallon, I am not complaining....lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Most fuels are blended with ethanol anyway, which would be government subsidised. I've gotta buy gas for the car, might as well be a better fuel than 87 octane.
Of course they are blended with ethanol. Stage station owner gets paid to sell the ethanol added fuel and the consumer gets #### on like usual. Govt subsidies to the station owner, subsidies to the corn growers. Gotta keep that price of corn up. Less corn and higher prices for the crop for the poor people trying to eat.

I used to trade oil on the stock market and supply and demand no longer pushes the price. They claim energy independence, but then get their #### all out of whack over that never ending Middle East peace lol.

Not arguing with your post, I just have a different perspective on it. Especially when I need to find better fuel for my lawn equipment and older cars.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The government subsidised thing is an argument within itself. I guess it comes down to a political argument, and since I don't care to argue politics, I won't. lol. If you look at production of E85 on a dollar and sense theory, it would lose every time. But since it's here, I can buy it by the barrel cheap, I will.

Pros- cooler intake temps, substantial HP gains, less stank (fumes) in the car
Cons- availability, cost to upgrade existing fuel system. Having to run larger pumps.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Your better off buying e98 and mixing it yourself. E85 isn't the holy grail for every engine. Go to youtube and search thetuningschool. They use a supercharged vette as their test vehicle . Nothing special. However they test pump gas, Race gas. E60 to e85 and so on. I believe the e60 won the hp test for that combo. I would test and tune for your combo and give her want she wants.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
THIS TEST WAS DONE IN 2012.

Well I tried E85 in my 94GT for approx. 3 weeks and the following are notes and observations I made.

* The first thing I noticed with E85 in the tank was how smooth the motor seem to run.
* The exhaust note seemed quieter and no deadly gas fumes.

I logged my gas mileage during the 3 weeks and I averaged: 9.7 mpg and average tank mileage was: 81.2miles. This is a combination of highway and city driving.

1st tank
E85: $3.29
93 octane: $4.05
MPG: 9.83
Driving: Highway driving with an avg speed of 75-90mph

2nd tank
MPG: 9.61

3rd tank
MPG: 11.9
Driving: Highway and city driving with an avg highway speed of 65-70mph

4th tank
E85: $3.59
93 octane: $3.99
MPG: 9.2

5th tank
93 octane: $3.95
MPG: 9.0

6th tank
MPG: 9.3

7th tank
MPG: 9.3

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
868 Posts
Michael, just out of curiosity, what was your mileage like before the switch to e85?

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Here is a perspective that is different.
Drag car. 9.2:1 358 cid 8.2" deck. Supercharged. 20+ psi boost
C-16, Q-16 116 octane rating. Average cost is $21 per gallon. ' average fuel per 1/8 mile pass : 1 gallon. this includes driving to and from the pits to lanes and back to the pits...no tow vehicle.
Pro E-85. 100 octane rating. From Renagade Race Fuels. $7 per gallon. average fuel per 1/8 mile pass 1.5 gallons.....no tow vehicle.
Obviously the tune on the car changed with the Pro E-85. The car has run it's best ET/MPH on the E-85. On the first hit was within .03 of the best pass on C16/Q16 after running that fuel for 2 years.
My results are that I am quicker and faster on Pro E85 at around 1/3 the cost than when running C16/Q16.
The above results may be skewed because the E85 burns cooler and allows the same timing as C16 despite the lower octane rating.
To be fair I have (to me) a very well thought out custom air/water I/C set up. This may or may not make all the difference.
I do not see a net negative in running E-85, only a positive. Since I am buying the fuel by the barrel for a race car, availability is not an issue. This is NOT a DD.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
Michael, just out of curiosity, what was your mileage like before the switch to e85?
Good question. On 93 octane and the same driving speeds for the highway 75-90mph, I averaged 13.9 to 14.4mpg.

FYI, This test was conducted back in 2012.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes it does, and thank you. I've been mulling over the switch to E85 for times at play, and was interested to have some real-world data on how fuel mileage was affected. I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Good question. On 93 octane and the same driving speeds for the highway 75-90mph, I averaged 13.9 to 14.4mpg.

FYI, This test was conducted back in 2012.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer
was this your car michael?
what do you run on your car and why?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I run it and like it, but E85 does have it's negatives. Unlike race gas (not including the high $ oxygenated stuff) you can't generally get away with filling up the tank and forgetting about it. Run a fuel conditioner, like Lucas ethanol conditioner. E85 runs cooler, but for optimum performance engine temp needs to be ~170* because of the vaporization temp of ethanol. It's also a good idea to get the engine temp up to ~200 before you shut the car down, to boil off the moisture. Get with a reputable tuner or carb guy to get set up and specs like proper timing and spark plug heat range. avoid fuel filters with a paper filter, stainless steel filter elements are best. If you run foam in your fuel cell, start with fresh new foam when you switch to E85.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
was this your car michael?
what do you run on your car and why?
Hey pkstang,
Yes, this was in my car, and back in 2012. Currently, I run 93 octane with lots of water/methanol. Because of the limited availability of E85, it's not a good choice for me.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
i didn't realize you ever ran E85 although knew the answer to the second question ;)

did you ever have a chance to dyno it before and after or did you make other changes while switching over to water/meth?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts