Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is wrong with e-bay turbo's, exactly? please, $200 vs $1200 . how can u screw up a turbo? :confused:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Easy, build the bearings out of cheap materials, improperly balance the shaft and wheels and leave casting flash in the housings.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
+1

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Easy, build the bearings out of cheap materials, improperly balance the shaft and wheels and leave casting flash in the housings.

You get what you pay for.
+3

and dont forget... use bolts to hold it together and not glue. Its been a WHILE but I rember the pics of "the glued together ebay turbo housing." lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:eek: glue? ok, i guess it was a stupid question to begin with..........

·
Registered
844 Posts
:eek: glue? ok, i guess it was a stupid question to begin with..........
They're just trying to scare you. I've been running eBay turbo's for almost two yrs now. Yes, the bearings are crap, and no it's definitely not a $1200 turbo. Just make sure when you get them(if you do) to take them apart and make sure everything looks ok (i found some metal shavings left over from machining). Once everything looks ok, install them and check for shaft play once and a while.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that, but if you cant afford $1200 for a turbo, they will work fine.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
They're just trying to scare you..
no not really, I am dead serious there was a turbo where the housing was glued together that came off ebay.

I totally understand NOT wanting to spend $1200 on a turbo but there are other options. I got mine off ebay for $750 which was a good deal for a turbonetics. you can find used GOOD turbos or even a new MP for less then $600.

I would SURELY spend $400 more then a ebay for a good name like MP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts